Connect with us

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

Salvage Station eyeing Weaverville location? Entire Grove Park Inn closed for private use? • Asheville Watchdog

Published

on

avlwatchdog.org – JOHN BOYLE – 2025-01-24 06:00:00

Today’s round of questions, my smart-aleck replies and the real answers:

Question: Regarding Salvage Station, are the rumors true that they signed a deal to move into the old Sonopress facility/outdoor space up here in Weaverville? Word is the town approved the deal late last year.

My answer: Word is I’m hitting the lottery this weekend. Boyle out! Please, stop the cheering! 

Real answer: The rumor mill has been spinning hard on this one, but no deal has been inked yet.

Katie Hild, marketing director for Salvage Station, the popular outdoor concert venue formerly located at 466 Riverside Drive near the River Arts District, told me she and founder/owner Danny McClinton continue to look for a new home. The former Sonopress building remains in the running, but it’s far from a done deal.

Salvage Station was going to have to move this year because of eminent domain and the NCDOT plopping the new I-26 Connector through part of the land it leased. But then Tropical Storm Helene added a double whammy Sept. 27 when it flooded the premises and damaged most of its equipment.

Tropical Storm Helene flooded Salvage Station and damaged most of its equipment.// Credit: Salvage Station Facebook page

“We have not signed anything,” Hild said. “We are not committed to Weaverville. Post-Helene, the reality is the landscape of our whole region has changed, and we’re just trying to get a better sense of what that looks like before we make a big commitment.”

Hild and McClinton have looked at the former Sonopress facility and liked what they saw, as it offers potential for an indoor/outdoor space. As Hild said, “It’s a huge building, a huge piece of property.”

The building owners are trying to make it an art and commercial space, and a community asset, Hild said, and that’s appealing, too.

“So that’s the vision, and having something like Salvage Station be the cornerstone of that would be absolutely a boon for the whole area,” Hild said. “It’s just a matter of it working out, if it’s feasible financially.”

Weaverville is still in the running, Hild said.

“We are still excited about that space,” Hild said. “We just haven’t made a commitment yet, because we’re still trying to pick up the pieces from what we were dealt with Helene.”

Weaverville Mayor Patrick Fitzsimmons told me Thursday that he was under the impression that Salvage Station had plans to move into what’s now called the Park 108 building, formerly known as Sonopress. But he also said he hadn’t talked with McClinton “for a couple of months.”

The 416,000-square-foot former Sonopress building in Weaverville has about 375,000 square feet of leasable space, owner Eddie Dewey said. He noted the building could accommodate Salvage Station, with an indoor/outdoor space for concerts. // Photo from Buncombe County GIS

“We certainly would love for them to come to town,” Fitzsimmons said. “I know that I’ve met with Danny and Katie at the Park 108, and we thought that was in the works, but obviously some things may have come up. But let’s hope that they still choose to come here.”

If they do, Fitzsimmons noted, the transition should be smooth.

“So there is no permitting or requirements that the town would require for that building,” Fitzsimmons said. “So, I hope they’re still interested in that, that they’re still coming. The plans, I thought, were farther down the line than that.”

The Park 108 building dates to 1984 and has an appraised value of $10.6 million, according to Buncombe County property records. Sonopress, later known as Arvato Digital Services, operated the CD production facility until early 2016, according to an article I wrote in late 2015 for the Citizen Times

The building is now owned by Made Monticello LLC, whose registered agent is Eddie Dewey, who is part of another partnership that owns 11 buildings in the River Arts District. 

Dewey told me Thursday that he has talked to McClinton and Hild about the possibility of locating there, an idea that first came up after Salvage Station was notified the NCDOT would take the Riverside Drive property..

The Park 108 building is enormous — about 416,000 square feet under roof and 375,000 leasable square feet, Dewey said. It already has multiple tenants, including a French Broad Chocolate production facility, a cookie company, and a guitar operation. Most recently, Moog Music “just moved their manufacturing line up there,” Dewey said.

“So think about a Salvage Station and putting them up there,” Dewey said. “We have a big yard. We have nighttime parking, and some programming (already) in. It’s also a little bit of a food desert.”

The Park 108 building is located on about 35 acres on the northwest corner of the I-26/Monticello Road interchange.

“What is attractive to us about outdoor programming is we’ve got 35 acres, we’ve got a 2 ½-acre field, we’ve got mountain views and we have 700 parking spaces that sit empty from five o’clock on Friday afternoon until 8 a.m. on Monday,” Dewey said. “It doesn’t have to be like a 3,000 person outdoor venue or an indoor venue. It can be something else. But we’re just looking at, ‘How can we turn this into more of a community asset?’”

As a property owner in the RAD, Dewey said he’s completely sympathetic to Salvage Station’s plight in trying to save some of its equipment and get a handle on the financial complexities of a possible relocation. 

Fitzsimmons also noted that Weaverville is excited about the potential for redevelopment of another former industrial plant, the old Balcrank facility at 115 Reems Creek Road. (Balcrank moved to a new location about a decade ago.)

“Something’s gonna happen there,” Fitzsimmons said of the old Balcrank location. “We’re talking to several different interested parties, and there’s something interesting that will happen there.”

Fitzsimmon noted that a lot of artists have been displaced from the River Arts District in Asheville, and from Marshall in Madison County.

“So we, too, are trying to attract the artist economy to Weaverville,” he said.

A private tech company rented out the entire Grove Park Inn last week, departing on Jan. 17. // Photo provided by Omni Grove Park Inn

Question: I’m a member of the Grove Park Inn Sports Center, and we were recently notified that the entire Grove Park Inn was bought out for an entire week — all of the restaurants, shops, etc. No one was allowed inside the building except for the private group. We could use the Sports Center, but we are curious as to who is so important and so wealthy that they rented out all of the restaurants. We could not eat at any of them!

My answer: I once toyed with the idea of renting out an entire room at the Grove Park Inn for a night. But then I saw the rates…

Real answer: So this transpired last week.

“This past week, we hosted a private tech group that reserved the hotel for the duration of their conference,” Omni Grove Park Inn spokesperson Isabel Miller told me via email. 

The group departed Friday, Jan. 17, and the property was fully reopened to the public at 11 a.m. that day.

So, enjoy those restaurants once again!

The Grove Park Inn has about 500 rooms, and rates for this weekend were ranging from $300 to $400 a night, or a minimum of $150,000 a night for the whole shebang. Multiply that by a whole week and you’re pushing three quarters of a million dollars.

That’s probably high, because you would get a gigantic group discount and weekday rates, but still, someone spent a gazillion simoleons. So, I’m just going to go ahead and say it must’ve been Zuckerberg and friends.

Seriously, I have no idea who it was, but if anyone has the skinny on what group it was, drop me a line. You know I’m nosy.


Asheville Watchdog is a nonprofit news team producing stories that matter to Asheville and Buncombe County. Got a question? Send it to John Boyle at jboyle@avlwatchdog.org or 828-337-0941. His Answer Man columns appear each Tuesday and Friday. The Watchdog’s reporting is made possible by donations from the community. To show your support for this vital public service go to avlwatchdog.org/support-our-publication/.

Original article

The post Salvage Station eyeing Weaverville location? Entire Grove Park Inn closed for private use? • Asheville Watchdog appeared first on avlwatchdog.org

The Watchdog

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

State appeals court finds merit in protests of nation’s last unsettled election | North Carolina

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Alan Wooten | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-04 13:39:00

(The Center Square) – Two of three judges on a North Carolina appellate decision say Republican Jefferson Griffin’s appeal has merit and ordered the State Board of Elections to recalculate the nation’s only unresolved election from Nov. 5.

On the 151st day since Election Day, the North Carolina Supreme Court Seat 6 race – an eight-year term seat – has yet to be decided. Friday’s announced decision, from oral arguments two weeks ago, gives 15 business days after notice for missing data in registration records of voters to be filled in, and overseas voters not providing photo identification as required by law to do so.

The voters who never lived in North Carolina are to be dropped from the totals.

Those instructions – Justices John Tyson and Fred Gore supported the ruling, Tobias Hampson dissented – could be appealed. And, it doesn’t give a clear indication if Griffin or Judge Allison Riggs will be the winner.

Riggs, the Democrat and incumbent on the bench after appointment by then-Gov. Roy Cooper, has been poised for a 734-vote triumph as the litigation saga plays out in multiple lawsuits and in both state and federal courtrooms. Griffin, a state appellate judge, has appealed every decision against him.

On Election Night, with 2,658 precincts reporting, Griffin led Riggs by 9,851 votes of 5,540,090 cast. Provisional and absentee ballots that qualified were added to the totals since, swinging the race by 10,585 votes.

The majority opinion read in part, regarding equal terms and fundamental rights in free elections, “This right is violated when ‘votes are not accurately counted (because) (unlawful) () ballots are included in the election results’ The inclusion of even one unlawful ballot in a vote total dilutes the lawful votes and ‘effectively ‘disenfranchises’’ lawful voters.”

The majority opinion is covered in the first 36 pages of the ruling; Hampson’s dissent is in the final 30 pages.

Anderson Clayton, chairwoman of the North Carolina Democratic Party, has called the win “decisive.” Jason Simmons, chairman of the North Carolina GOP, said earlier votes in question are “blatant violations of state law.”

In response to Friday’s announcement, Clayton said the court put party affiliation above the rights of North Carolina voters.” Simmons said, “Today’s decision confirms the facts were on Judge Griffin’s side. This a victory for the rule of law and election integrity.”

The state elections board, majority 3-2 Democrats, and Riggs have been aligned in the litigations.

The Supreme Court bench has historically been nonpartisan and partisan, and since going back to the latter, was 6-1 Democrats in 2019. It is 5-2 Republicans today.

The state Supreme Court calendar has already begun, with Riggs still in place until the election is decided. She has been recused from any proceedings involving the election. Similarly, Griffin has not been involved in any at the appellate level.

Griffin protested about 65,000 ballots on multiple counts, and the state board rejected all of them. Most were by 3-2 party-line votes.

The protests the state board denied included registration records of voters, such as lack of providing either a driver’s license number or the last four digits of a Social Security number. State law for that has been in place two decades, dating to 2004.

Other ballots protested and denied by the state board included voters overseas who have never lived in the United States, and for lack of photo identification provided with military and overseas voters.

The post State appeals court finds merit in protests of nation’s last unsettled election | North Carolina appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

5 on Your Side: Consumer Reports shares the risks of vacation payment options

Published

on

www.youtube.com – WRAL – 2025-04-04 08:57:29


SUMMARY: Many travel sites now offer “buy now, pay later” (BNPL) loans, allowing consumers to split vacation costs over time. While popular, these loans come with risks. BNPL options often lack consumer protections, making refunds difficult if trips are canceled. Some plans offer interest-free payments, but others charge high interest rates, leading to costly purchases. Additionally, if a trip is canceled, travelers may still owe payments. Experts recommend using credit cards for travel bookings, which offer better consumer protections, or saving in advance to avoid debt. Always read the fine print before committing to BNPL loans.

YouTube video

“Buy Now, Pay Later” loan options have been growing in popularity, especially for travelers. Consumer Reports shares red flags and potential pitfalls that experts warn consumers of.

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

Helene: Death toll 107 in North Carolina, 236 in seven states | North Carolina

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Alan Wooten | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-03 14:11:00

(The Center Square) – Hurricane Helene’s death toll in North Carolina has grown to 107 and is 236 across seven states.

Gov. Josh Stein shared news of a death in the Avery County community of Newland. The wife of a couple camping was among those who died in earlier confirmations; the husband’s death was added on Thursday after his body was found.

The governor said the couple was camping on the last weekend of September when the storm hit.

This weekend marks the beginning of the 28th week of recovery. Damage is estimated at $60 billion.

Helene is arguably the worst natural disaster in state history. Hurricanes Floyd in 1999 and Hazel in 1954 have their place, as does Asheville’s Great Flood of 1916. Comparison is not apples to apples.

Helene made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane in Dekle Beach, Fla., on Sept. 26. It was expected to come north to the Appalachian Mountains; however, the rainfall total from its dissipation there exceeded all forecasts.

Some places got more than 30 inches, most were at 24 or more. Due to terrain, water often rushed before it pooled and flooded – very unlike the flooding that happens in the coastal plains.

AccuWeather said rainfall totals were 32.51 inches in Jeter Mountain, 31.36 inches in Busick, and 26.65 inches in Hughes.

Forty-two died in Buncombe County, 11 in Yancey and 10 in Henderson.

Respective state officials say 49 were killed in South Carolina, 34 in Georgia, 25 in Florida, 18 in Tennessee, two in Virginia and one in Indiana.

Numbers were confirmed by The Center Square based on information supplied by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services; South Carolina Department of Public Safety; Georgia Emergency Management Agency; Florida Department of Law Enforcement; Tennessee Emergency Management Agency; Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin; and the Gibson County Sheriff’s Office in Indiana.

Helene is the fourth most deadly hurricane from the Atlantic Basin in the last three-quarters of a century. Only Katrina (2005, deaths 1,392), Audrey (1957, deaths 416) and Camille (1969, deaths 256) killed more people.

The post Helene: Death toll 107 in North Carolina, 236 in seven states | North Carolina appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

Trending