Connect with us

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

NASA makes decision to keep two astronauts in space until 2025

Published

on

www.youtube.com – THV11 – 2024-08-25 21:31:09

SUMMARY: NASA has decided against bringing astronauts Butch Wilmore and Sunni Williams back to Earth on Boeing’s Starliner capsule after an 8-day mission due to safety concerns. The astronauts will now stay aboard the International Space Station (ISS) until February, extending their journey to nearly nine months. Officials cited issues with helium leaks and degraded thrusters on the Starliner, making it unfit for re-entry. Instead, the spacecraft will return uncrewed, while Wilmore and Williams will return with Crew-9 in February 2024. NASA described the decision as difficult but necessary for safety.

YouTube video

What should have been a weeklong test flight for the pair will now last more than eight months. (Via CBS).
https://www.thv11.com/article/news/nation-world/nasa-decides-to-keep-2-astronauts-in-space-until-february-nixes-return-on-troubled-boeing-capsule-space/507-f7ac45e3-c418-4c3c-b4b2-db7b3dfd97ec

Source

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Arkansas Senate narrowly OKs dissolution of State Library; bill heads to House

Published

on

arkansasadvocate.com – Tess Vrbin – 2025-04-02 18:30:00

by Tess Vrbin, Arkansas Advocate
April 2, 2025

The Arkansas Senate narrowly endorsed the elimination of the Arkansas State Library on Wednesday, but the bill did not receive enough support to go into effect July 1 if it becomes law.

Senate Bill 536 would transfer the authorities, funds, contracts and employees of the agency and its board to the Arkansas Department of Education. The State Library is already under the department’s umbrella but operates independently, and its board disburses state funds to public libraries on a quarterly basis.

Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Jonesboro, is the bill’s sponsor and has repeatedly promised to dissolve the State Library Board. Sullivan broadened his intention to dissolve the entire State Library last month after he said the board did not satisfy the conditions he gave them for its survival.

Most laws go into effect 90 days after the end of a legislative session, around Aug. 1, but SB 536 had an emergency clause that would have allowed it to go into effect July 1. This provision was one of many aspects of the bill that library directors opposed Tuesday before it passed the Senate Committee on State Agencies and Governmental Affairs.

Misty Hawkins, regional director of the Arkansas River Valley Regional Library System, said it would be impossible to rework the interlocal agreements in the four counties she serves within three months to account for the language of SB 536. Several library systems in Arkansas encompass multiple counties.

Emergency clauses need the support of two-thirds of lawmakers, which is 24 votes in the Senate. SB 536 instead received 18 votes, the minimum for a simple majority.

Republican Sens. Breanne Davis of Russellville and Bryan King of Green Forest joined five of the six Senate Democrats in voting against the bill. Sen. Stephanie Flowers, D-Pine Bluff, and Sen. Kim Hammer, R-Benton, were absent. Three Republicans voted present and five did not vote.

The Senate subsequently approved a clincher motion from Sullivan with a voice vote. A clincher prevents a bill from receiving another vote in the applicable chamber, so the House will consider SB 536 without its emergency clause.

Hawkins and three other library directors said Tuesday that SB 536 might cost them the state funding they need to operate their libraries. The bill’s criteria for receiving state funds include “prohibit[ing] access to age-inappropriate materials to a person who is sixteen (16) years old or younger.”

One-room libraries do not have segregated spaces to ensure that children under 16 cannot access specific material, and SB 536 says the Department of Education “may” disburse funds to libraries that meet the proposed criteria but does not mandate it, the library directors said. Sen. Clarke Tucker, D-Little Rock, repeated these concerns on the Senate floor Wednesday.

SB 536 defines “age-inappropriate material” as “books, media, or any other material accessible at a public library containing images or explicit and detailed descriptions” of sexual acts, sexual contact and human genitalia.

The State Library Board approved a motion at a special meeting March 13 to create “non-binding policies to protect children” while honoring First Amendment freedoms and libraries’ material selection policies. Sullivan had asked the board to pass a motion to protect children in libraries and to detach from the American Library Association; the board rejected two separate motions to these ends.

Sen. Terry Rice, R-Waldron, said he also asked State Library Board members to ensure that libraries keep inappropriate content away from children.

“It’s time for drastic things to happen if this incompetent bunch is going to continue to put our children at risk,” Rice said. “There’s going to be fallout, but we’ll fix the fallout.”

Tucker said the Legislature has the authority to reconstitute the State Library Board instead of dissolving it and its parent agency if lawmakers are dissatisfied with its actions or inactions.

Library directors and State Library Board members have repeatedly said, including at Tuesday’s committee meeting, that libraries already organize books on shelves in an age-appropriate manner in accordance with existing standards.

The location and availability of books based on “appropriateness” for minors was the thrust of Act 372 of 2023, also sponsored by Sullivan. The law would have given local elected officials the final say over whether to relocate challenged library materials some consider “obscene” and made librarians legally liable for disseminating such materials.

A federal judge temporarily and later permanently blocked portions of Act 372; Attorney General Tim Griffin appealed the ruling in January.

GET THE MORNING HEADLINES.

SUBSCRIBE

Arkansas Advocate is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Arkansas Advocate maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Sonny Albarado for questions: info@arkansasadvocate.com.

The post Arkansas Senate narrowly OKs dissolution of State Library; bill heads to House appeared first on arkansasadvocate.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Arkansas Senate advances immigration penalty bill

Published

on

www.youtube.com – 40/29 News – 2025-04-02 17:27:07

SUMMARY: The Arkansas Senate has advanced the “Defense Against Criminal Illegals Act,” sponsored by Senate Pro Tem Bart Hester. This bill aims to increase penalties for undocumented individuals convicted of violent crimes like murder and rape, emphasizing the state’s stance against violent gangs crossing borders. Critics, including attorney Jeff Rosenzweig and the ACLU, argue the bill poses legal challenges and could result in unfair treatment of legally residing individuals with revoked visas. Hester believes the law is necessary for tougher immigration enforcement and targets only violent offenders. The bill has passed the Senate and is set to move to the House.

YouTube video

Arkansas Senate advances immigration penalty bill Subscribe to 40/29 on YouTube now for more: http://bit.ly/PTElbK Get more …

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Arkansas decision likely means Louisiana’s age verification law is endangered | Louisiana

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Steve Wilson | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-02 06:19:00

(The Center Square) – After a federal court struck down Arkansas’ age verification law for social media platforms on Monday, Louisiana’s statute is likely in jeopardy after the same internet free speech group filed a similar complaint.

NetChoice, an association founded in 2001 with members that include YouTube, Google, Reddit and others, filed the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana on March 18. The parties are supposed to have a status conference on Wednesday.

A similar law was partially blocked by a federal court in California in January. 

The similar Arkansas law was overturned by U.S. District Judge Timothy Brooks, an appointee of former President Barack Obama, in a one-page decision in NetChoice v. Griffin.

Like Louisiana’s law, the Natural State’s legislation required age verification and parental permission to have a social media account, but it was more sweeping as it was applied to all users under age 18. 

“Act 689, if implemented, would violate the First Amendment rights of Arkansans because it is a facially content based restriction on speech that is not narrowly tailored to serve a compelling government interest,” Brooks said in his decision. “It would also violate the due process rights of Plaintiffs’ members because it is unconstitutionally vague in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment.”

In his decision, Brooks admits that while Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat require users to be at least age 13, “account holders are asked only to self-report their ages.”

He also said that the Arkansas law “is not narrowly tailored to address the harms that the state has a compelling interest in preventing.”

“The court confirms what we have been arguing from the start: laws restricting access to protected speech violate the First Amendment,” said Chris Marchese, director of the NetChoice Litigation Center, in a news release. “And while we are grateful that this law has been permanently struck down and free speech online preserved, we remain open to working with Arkansas policymakers to advance legislation that protects minors without violating the Constitution.”

Like in Arkansas, NetChoice is seeking the overturn of Louisiana’s Senate Bill 162 passed in 2023 and in effect since July 1. 

According to the legislation, age verification is required for social media sites and bans those younger than 16 from having an account without parental permission.

It also requires social media platforms to make “commercially reasonable efforts” to verify the age of users, which the complaint says is an abrogation of the First Amendment.

The post Arkansas decision likely means Louisiana’s age verification law is endangered | Louisiana appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

Trending