Connect with us

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

More Louisiana officials can shield their home addresses, ethics board decides

Published

on

lailluminator.com – Julie O’Donoghue – 2025-02-28 07:17:00

More Louisiana officials can shield their home addresses, ethics board decides

by Julie O’Donoghue, Louisiana Illuminator
February 28, 2025

The Louisiana Board of Ethics will allow statewide elected officials and more high-ranking government employees to keep their home addresses off forms posted online. 

A state law requires home addresses for 33 state elected officials and high-ranking appointees to be included in paperwork that’s posted on the ethics board’s public website. Board members determined earlier this month a state constitutional right to privacy overrides that obligation. 

Last year, the board’s staff redacted the home addresses of five executive office employees who work for Gov. Jeff Landry. The new ruling will allow 28 more high-ranking officials to keep their home addresses off the ethics board website if they request it.

GET THE MORNING HEADLINES.

SUBSCRIBE

Those who can now ask for their addresses to be redacted include: the governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, treasurer, insurance commissioner, agriculture commissioner, cabinet secretaries, the Public Service Commission executive director, the Civil Service Commission director, the state education superintendent, higher education commissioner and presidents of the state’s four public university and college systems. 

These officials are in a small group legally required to submit Tier 1 personal financial disclosure paperwork with their residencies explicitly listed. Hundreds of other elected officials and public employees have to file Tier 2 or lower disclosure forms that don’t require a home address. 

Even if addresses are blacked out on the website version of the Tier 1 officials’ disclosure forms, the public might still be able to access the information. State ethics administrator David Bordelon said copies with the addresses still visible will be available through public records requests. 

Ethics Board member Vanessa Guidry-Whipple pushed hard for the home addresses to come down off the board’s website. She served for decades as a judge on Louisiana’s 1st Circuit Court of Appeals and said she knows other women judges who have been physically threatened. 

In Louisiana, judges are not required to disclose where they live on public government forms. Ethics board members such as Guidry-Whipple also don’t have to reveal their home addresses on personal financial disclosure paperwork that’s posted online. 

Nevertheless, Guidry-Whipple was uncomfortable with making other officials share such personal information.

“I don’t like my home address floating out there at large for the world to see,” Guidry-Whipple said during a Feb. 4 ethics board meeting.

Board member La Koshia Roberts disagreed with her colleagues’ stance. She doesn’t think the board has the authority to conceal home addresses on the disclosure forms. It would have to wait for state lawmakers to change the law to do so.

We are not the legislative body. We don’t write the law. We don’t have the pen,” Roberts said. 

Guidry-Whipple said an opinion Attorney General Liz Murrill issued provides the justification the board needs to offer redactions to officials who request them. It concluded the right to privacy included in the Louisiana Constitution would nullify any ethics statute that requires a home address to be released. 

“We have some legal coverage in the AG’s opinion, in my opinion, but we do need some clarification from the legislature,” said Guidry-Whipple, who Landry appointed to the ethics board in January. 

The ethics board voted 7-5 to broaden access to the redactions, with all of the members Landry appointed last month favoring the new policy.

YOU MAKE OUR WORK POSSIBLE.

SUPPORT

Louisiana Illuminator is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Louisiana Illuminator maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Greg LaRose for questions: info@lailluminator.com.

The post More Louisiana officials can shield their home addresses, ethics board decides appeared first on lailluminator.com

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Jurors view crime scene evidence on Day 3 of Taymor McIntyre’s capital murder trial

Published

on

www.youtube.com – KSAT 12 – 2025-04-03 18:14:36

SUMMARY: On Day 3 of Taymor McIntyre’s capital murder trial, jurors viewed crime scene evidence, including photos and a key 9mm shell casing, related to the 2017 robbery and murder of photographer Mark Salivar. Testimony focused on the investigation’s beginnings, revealing that police found a casing and marijuana at the scene outside a Chick-fil-A. Surveillance footage has been mentioned but not yet shown; it reportedly captures a black car and a struggle with Salivar. Tomorrow, a medical examiner will testify, along with three individuals linked to McIntyre, one of whom took a plea deal. Discussions around McIntyre’s rap career continue to unfold.

YouTube video

Jurors in the capital murder trial of rapper Taymor McIntyre, known as Tay-K-47, viewed key pieces of evidence Thursday, including crime scene photos and a shell casing.

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Jury deliberations set to begin in monumental oil and gas lawsuit | Louisiana

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Nolan McKendry | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-03 14:16:00

(The Center Square) – A historic trial that could compel oil and gas companies to pay billions for Louisiana’s coastal wetlands restoration reached its climax this week, with closing arguments delivered Thursday at the Louisiana 25th Judicial District Court in lower Plaquemines Parish. 

The lawsuit, pitting the parish against companies including Chevron USA, Inc., is the first of 42 similar cases filed since 2013 to reach trial, accusing the industry of violating state permitting laws and exacerbating wetlands loss.

Chevron, The Texas Company, Atlantic Richfield Company, ConocoPhillips, and The Louisiana Land and Exploration Company all filed a motion in opposition in 2022 to keep the case in federal court.

After over a decade of legal battles, Plaquemines Parish, led by attorney John Carmouche, is seeking nearly $3 billion in damages. A victory could set a precedent, potentially forcing oil companies to pay tens of billions across all cases — funds legally mandated for coastal restoration. 

The litigation has weathered three attempts by the companies to shift it to federal court, a venue they viewed as advantageous, with the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals last affirming its return to state court in October of 2022.

“If somebody causes harm, fix it,” Carmouche said in his opening statement. 

The parish alleges decades of unregulated oilfield activity, including canal dredging, devastated its coastline. 

Chevron says it’s being sued for Texaco’s pre-2001 oil and gas work under a 1980 law not meant to cover earlier activities. It also claims the case belongs in federal court since some work tied to World War II was under federal guidance. Chevron acquired Texaco in 2001.

As the jury prepares to deliberate, the outcome could mark a turning point, potentially delivering unprecedented industry accountability for Louisiana’s fading coast—or a major setback for restoration efforts.

The post Jury deliberations set to begin in monumental oil and gas lawsuit | Louisiana appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Reproductive Justice Fund up for another San Antonio City Council vote Thursday

Published

on

www.youtube.com – KSAT 12 – 2025-04-03 06:07:38

SUMMARY: The San Antonio City Council is set to vote on whether to allocate an additional $100,000 to the controversial Reproductive Justice Fund, originally designed to help cover travel costs for women seeking abortions. Although nearly half a million dollars in contracts were approved, none funded travel expenses, prompting renewed calls for more financial support. Some groups, like Beat AIDS Coalition Trust, are cautious about applying again, seeking legal assurances regarding abortion-related funding. Advocates emphasize the urgent need for funding, citing a crisis in Texas where women struggle to access abortion care amid ongoing legal challenges and restrictions.

YouTube video

The San Antonio City Council will vote Thursday morning on whether to put another $100,000 into a controversial health fund.

Source

Continue Reading

Trending