Connect with us

The Center Square

Louisiana Pearl River residents disapprove of new flood control lake plan | Louisiana

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Jacob Mathews | The Center Square – 2024-07-15 11:31:00

(The Center Square) — Despite the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers supporting a scaled-down flood control lake near downtown Jackson, Mississippi, environmental groups and residents in Louisiana remain opposed to the project, saying it could result in environmental damage to coastal fisheries and wetlands.

The federal agency said at a public meeting last week in Slidell that the original plan isn’t cost-effective. The Corps said a new plan called Alternative D is similar but proposes a smaller One Lake near Jackson. 

Andrew Whitehurst, a representative from Healthy Gulf, an environmental nonprofit group dedicated to preserving the Gulf’s natural resources, said the dredging near toxic waste sites might loosen some slurry and leachate down the river system.

Whitehurst also said the lives of multiple turtle and fish species whose habitats are in the Pearl River watershed would be endangered. 

The Corps said that the new plan will have no effect on the rivers water levels below Monticello, Mississippi.

However, nearly two dozen Louisiana business owners and residents opposed the project during the hearing. The St. Tammany Parish Council also renewed its opposition to the plan with a resolution Thursday night. 

“They were talking about how great it would be [to have] a state park in Jackson, Mississippi,” Parish Council member David Cougle said. “But we are in Slidell.”

The Rankin-Hinds Drainage District, an entity of the state of Mississippi created to prevent flooding in the two counties, supports the project, saying the lake would not only prevent flooding in Jackson, but provide an urban waterfront that would increase city revenues and provide recreational opportunities.

“It’s not being considered how this is going to negatively affect us,” Cougle added.

The Corps estimates that the project would reduce flood damages in Jackson by about $28 million annually.

Whitehurst believes part of the plan, the weir that will impound the Pearl River, is just there to make a recreational lake. The Corps also says this plan would require extra pumps and levee improvements, and would increase flood risk for 52 homes in Mississippi downstream of the lake.

The Corps uses a cost-benefit test to determine whether to move forward with a project. They discovered there would be economic boost to the area from “boat ramps, camping areas, fishing piers, trails, or wildlife viewing areas,” which would add about $5 million in calculated annual benefits to the project.

Though the Corps has framed “Alternative D” as the most likely plan, it is still considering two others. One involves home elevations, buyouts and new levees with no new lake, which would have the least effects on the lower Pearl River.  The other proposes dredging the Pearl and adding levees near Jackson, but would also not involve creating a new lake.

Louisiana officials say they understand the need for both development and flood control. They’re urging the Corps to pursue a plan that won’t harm the lower Pearl.

“No one that lives in South Louisiana is going to begrudge them for wanting flood protection. We understand that as well as anybody else does,” Rep. Stephanie Berault, R-Slidell, said according to NOLA. “But you just don’t do it at the expense of its downstream effects.”

Read More

The post Louisiana Pearl River residents disapprove of new flood control lake plan | Louisiana appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

The Center Square

Oil, transportation costs lead to more pain at the pump in Arizona | Arizona

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – Chris Woodward – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-04 17:00:00

Arizonans paid more for gasoline Friday than this time last week.

AAA has the state average for a gallon of regular at $3.42. That’s up from $3.33 last week. It is also higher than the national average of $3.26.

Julian Paredes, spokesperson for AAA Arizona, told The Center Square the cost of oil is the single biggest factor for the cost of gas for everyone.

“Other factors for Arizona include sources,” said Paredes. “Arizona gets its gas from California, Texas and New Mexico.”

California fuel is more expensive, and adding the cost of transportation from all those states makes Arizona prices higher than other areas.

Drivers in Arizona’s Maricopa County saw prices as high as $3.64 a gallon Friday. Averages in Navajo and Coconino counties were around $3.28 a gallon. The counties of Greenlee, Graham and Pima had prices anywhere from $3.01 to $3.12.

States neighboring Arizona have cheaper prices, according to AAA.

For example, the state average in New Mexico Friday was $3.07, compared to $3.15 in Colorado and $3.22 in Utah. Nevada, at $4 a gallon, and California, at $4.94 a gallon, are the only states bordering Arizona with higher prices.

“Arizona does not have refineries, so the state imports all fuel,” Paredes said.

“Colorado and New Mexico have their own refineries, so transportation costs are lower,” Parades said. “Arizona is also a more populous state with strong tourism, so general demand for fuel is higher.”

Nationwide, gas prices tend to rise near the end of spring because of demand and the start of summer travel season. Paredes said. The historic trend for decades is that gas prices are cheapest during winter, rise gradually during spring, peak during summer and drop during fall.

Meanwhile, the state average for diesel fuel, which is used by trucks transporting food and other goods, in Arizona was $3.57 on Friday. 

The post Oil, transportation costs lead to more pain at the pump in Arizona | Arizona appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - Tennessee News Feed

Five dead as Tennessee braces for more severe weather | Tennessee

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Kim Jarrett | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-04 16:29:00

(The Center Square) – At least five people have died and that number is expected to increase after severe storms hit the western and middle portions of Tennessee. 

“There has been a great deal of storm activity and damage,” Gov. Bill Lee said in a Friday news conference with emergency leaders. “And yet there’s more to come.” 

Lee issued an emergency declaration ahead of storms that moved through the state on Thursday. A tornado was confirmed in the McNairy County town of Selmer, where at least one person died, according to the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency.

There were two deaths in Fayette County, and one each in Carroll and Obion counties, the agency said. 

More storms are expected this weekend especially west of I-65, according to the National Weather Service.  

“Do not be surprised by a severe storm or tornado watch soon,” the agency said Friday afternoon on social media. “We are still watching Saturday afternoon and night for peak storms and flash flooding.’

Some areas could see up to 8 inches of rain this weekend, according to the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency. 

“Life safety missions are currently ongoing and is the top priority in our rescue and response operations,” agency officials said in a report. “Once life safety missions are complete and the storm system moves through the state, TEMA alongside our local and federal partners will begin damage assessments.”

Lee was on the ground with first responders touring damage Thursday and Friday. 

“Middle and West Tennesseans face a long road to recovery after severe weather, and there is great hope in seeing how communities are coming together to serve their neighbors in this time of need,” Lee said said Gov. Lee. “We will continue to look for every opportunity to support local recovery efforts.”

The post Five dead as Tennessee braces for more severe weather | Tennessee appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Jury orders Chevron to pay $744M in landmark Louisiana coastal restoration case | National

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Nolan McKendry | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-04 14:58:00

(The Center Square) − In a historic decision with sweeping implications for Louisiana’s energy sector and environmental restoration efforts, a jury in lower Plaquemines Parish on Friday ordered Chevron to pay $744 million in damages for its role in the degradation of the state’s coastal wetlands.

The verdict marks the conclusion of the first trial among 42 lawsuits filed since 2013 by parishes across coastal Louisiana. The lawsuits allege that decades of oil and gas activity – primarily canal dredging and other infrastructure work –violated state permitting laws and accelerated the state’s catastrophic land loss.

The case, Plaquemines Parish v. Chevron USA, Inc., is the first of its kind to go before a jury. Chevron was sued as the successor to Texaco, whose operations in the parish date back decades.

“This is about responsibility,” said lead parish attorney John Carmouche. “If somebody causes harm, fix it.”

Chevron argued the lawsuit was flawed, claiming that the activities in question were permitted, legal, and often conducted under federal direction – particularly those tied to national security during World War II.

The company also sought to move the case to federal court, a request repeatedly denied over the years, with the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals affirming its place in state court in 2022.

Plaquemines Parish sought nearly $3 billion in damages. Environmental advocates and plaintiffs’ attorneys say the ruling could open the door to billions more in damages across the remaining lawsuits.

The verdict drew sharp criticism from Louisiana’s oil and gas industry and its allies, who warned the ruling could have dire consequences for the state’s economy.

“Today’s verdict not only undermines Louisiana’s position as an energy leader, but but also threatens our country’s trajectory at America-first energy dominance across the globe,” Tommy Faucheux, president of the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil & Gas Association, said. “These lawsuits were never about restoring the coast. As the number one private investor in our working coast, the energy industry is already doing that. Instead, this is a deep-pocketed trial lawyers driving baseless lawsuits hoping to make millions in legal fees. Today’s decision is sacrificing the livelihoods of our families, friends and neighbors to give these trial lawyers their big payday.”

Faucheux and others said the verdict will cost the state jobs and investments. 

“This is a shortsighted, flawed verdict that has the potential to sacrifice tens of thousands of jobs at the altar of Louisiana’s trial lawyer economy,” said Marc Ehrhardt, executive director of the Grow Louisiana Coalition. “With this verdict, Louisiana will be branded as a state that will extort the most recognizable companies on earth for billions of dollars, decades later.”

Daniel Erspamer, CEO of the free market Pelican Institute for Public Policy, called the decision a “setback for the new administration and the thousands of Louisiana families who depend on a strong energy sector.”

“For more than a decade, coastal lawsuits like this one have unfairly targeted energy producers for activities that were lawfully conducted decades ago,” Erspamer said. “There is little doubt that, if left to stand, this chilling precedent would further undermine legal certainty and deter future investment in our state.”

The state’s chamber of commerce, the Louisiana Association of Business and Industry, was critical of the decision.  released the following statement on behalf of  in response to the verdict handed down Friday by a Plaquemines Parish jury.

“Louisiana’s oil and gas industry supports more than 250,000 jobs and contributes billions of dollars annually to our state’s economy, funding critical infrastructure, education and coastal restoration projects,” LABI President and CEO Will Green said in a statement. “This verdict — which should absolutely be appealed — not only threatens those economic benefits but also sends a chilling message to businesses across the country about the risks of operating in Louisiana.

“These baseless lawsuits jeopardize one of our state’s most vital industries, deterring investment and enticing companies to take their jobs and resources to more business-friendly states at a time when Louisiana should be doubling down on supporting the industries that serve as the backbone of our economy.”

Green continued his criticism of the verdict.

“Instead of fostering an environment where industry and government collaborate on real solutions, this decision paves the way for more frivolous lawsuits that undermine economic stability, hurt Louisiana families and only benefit lawyers,” Green said. “Our state’s leading investors in coastal restoration — those with both the expertise and financial resources to make a real impact — are now being driven away.

All three groups argued that the decision sends a negative signal to businesses about Louisiana’s legal climate and economic stability.

Environmental and legal experts say the verdict could be a turning point in Louisiana’s long-running struggle to address coastal erosion — one of the fastest rates in the world. State officials estimate the coast loses the equivalent of a football field of land every 100 minutes.

Supporters of the lawsuit say oil and gas companies cut more than 10,000 miles of canals through wetlands — damage that was never properly repaired or mitigated.

“Coastal communities have been demanding accountability for decades,” said an environmental advocate familiar with the litigation. “This ruling shows that the courts are finally listening.”

Chevron is expected to appeal the decision.

 

 

The post Jury orders Chevron to pay $744M in landmark Louisiana coastal restoration case | National appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

Trending