Connect with us

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Louisiana attorney general takes on New Orleans ‘sanctuary city’ policy, murder sentences

Published

on

lailluminator.com – Greg LaRose – 2025-02-14 20:34:00

by Greg LaRose, Louisiana Illuminator
February 14, 2025

Attorney General Liz Murrill has gone to federal court to end what she and other Republican state leaders consider “sanctuary city” policies in New Orleans. She is also lobbing criticism for what she considers are reduced criminal sentences in murder cases.

Murrill filed a motion Thursday with the U.S. District Court in New Orleans that would force the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office to abandon policy that limits the law enforcement agency from carrying out warrants for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) only when suspects are accused of violent crime. Deputies also cannot ask detainees about their immigration status and share that information with federal authorities. 

In a social media post, the attorney general framed her legal action as aligned with President Donald Trump’s immigration policy “to end the wave of violent crime and drugs that has swept across this nation from the southern border for the last eight years.”  

“The people of Louisiana, through their representatives in the Legislature, have adamantly rejected ‘sanctuary’ policies that shield those who have broken our laws and endanger the men, women, and children of this State,” Murrill wrote.

GET THE MORNING HEADLINES.

SUBSCRIBE

Through her spokeswoman, Orleans Parish Sheriff Susan Hutson said she had not seen the attorney general’s court filing as of late Thursday. The OPSO has complied with state law and a federal court consent decree that set parameters for interactions between the sheriff’s office and ICE. 

“We enforce ICE detainers when doing so aligns with our legal obligations,” Hutson said in a statement.

The consent decree was issued under Hutson’s predecessor, Marlin Gusman, in 2013, following a federal lawsuit that triggered an investigation into poor conditions and maltreatment of incarcerated people at Orleans Parish Prison.

The consent decree policy conflicts with a law the Louisiana Legislature approved last year that forbids state agencies and local governments from putting any “sanctuary city” policies in place that shield immigrants from law enforcement. If a city or parish doesn’t obey the law, the attorney general can sue in 19th Judicial District Court in Baton Rouge to compel their compliance. The state could also withhold money from a city or parish as punishment under the measure Sen. Blake Miguez, R-New Iberia, sponsored.

Murrill filed her motion to intervene in federal court because it has oversight of the OPSO consent decree.

Reduced murder sentences

Murrill announced Friday on social media that she intends to review certain murder cases in New Orleans to determine whether sentences were improperly reduced. Her statement was in response to an investigative report from WDSU-TV into convicted murderers whose sentences were reduced at the request of the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office.  

“I’m continuing to conduct a very in-depth review of a large body of cases,” Murrill wrote. “There are at least 35 cases that involve first-degree or second-degree murder, where I believe that relief was improperly granted. I’m looking at mechanisms to have the convictions reinstated.”

Reached via text message, District Attorney Jason Williams said his office has been transparent about its work with the attorney general, and his staff plans to meet with Murrill once her review is complete. 

“My jurisdiction has been an outlier in past defective convictions – and that has sunk public trust in our system which has made it harder to prosecute violent crime and historically has made us less safe,” Williams wrote. “We can only have public safety in New Orleans when people believe the justice system works equally and fairly for everyone, not just the well-heeled and or connected.”

Soon after she took office in January 2024, Murrill and Williams, a Democrat, forged an agreement that allows the attorney general to prosecute criminal cases stemming from arrests by the newly established Louisiana State Police troop in New Orleans.

“I did not let party affiliations of national politics get in the way of public safety locally, and I welcome our discourse on the cases she is reviewing. We both have the same mission, making our home a safer space than we found it,” Williams wrote. 

Orleans Parish District Attorney Jason Williams, left, speaks at a Nov. 29, 2093, news conference with Gov.-elect Jeff Landry at the Superdome in New Orleans. (Greg LaRose/Louisiana Illuminator)

Gov. Jeff Landry has credited state police Troop NOLA for a dramatic reduction in crime in New Orleans. So far in 2025, there has been a 38% decrease in crime based on data provided to city council members. That includes 20 murders this year, including the 14 people killed in the New Year’s Day terrorist attack. Excluding those deaths, the city is well below the murder counts reported for the same period in the previous three years.

YOU MAKE OUR WORK POSSIBLE.

SUPPORT

Louisiana Illuminator is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Louisiana Illuminator maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Greg LaRose for questions: info@lailluminator.com.

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Reproductive Justice Fund up for another San Antonio City Council vote Thursday

Published

on

www.youtube.com – KSAT 12 – 2025-04-03 06:07:38

SUMMARY: The San Antonio City Council is set to vote on whether to allocate an additional $100,000 to the controversial Reproductive Justice Fund, originally designed to help cover travel costs for women seeking abortions. Although nearly half a million dollars in contracts were approved, none funded travel expenses, prompting renewed calls for more financial support. Some groups, like Beat AIDS Coalition Trust, are cautious about applying again, seeking legal assurances regarding abortion-related funding. Advocates emphasize the urgent need for funding, citing a crisis in Texas where women struggle to access abortion care amid ongoing legal challenges and restrictions.

YouTube video

The San Antonio City Council will vote Thursday morning on whether to put another $100,000 into a controversial health fund.

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Rep. Knox proposes tip tax exemption for Louisiana workers

Published

on

www.youtube.com – WWLTV – 2025-04-02 18:16:55

SUMMARY: Rep. Alonzo Knox from New Orleans has introduced a bill to exempt tips from state income tax for Louisiana workers, aiming to provide tax relief to those in the hospitality industry, which supports 72,000 jobs in New Orleans. Many workers rely on tips, and Knox’s proposal would allow them to deduct tip income from their taxes. However, some experts, like Yon Mohler from Invest Louisiana, warn that this could reduce state revenue during challenging economic times and suggest implementing a meaningful state minimum wage instead. Knox anticipates bipartisan support for the bill, which targets individuals earning less than $65,000 annually.

YouTube video

Lawmakers are due back in Baton Rouge on April 14 for the start of this year’s regular session.

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Deadly shootings at phone repair shop add to concerns for neighbors

Published

on

www.youtube.com – KSAT 12 – 2025-04-02 18:10:53

SUMMARY: A recent shootout at a San Antonio cell phone repair shop left two men dead, causing alarm among local residents. The incident involved 47-year-old Kenneth Mcnite Jr., who fatally shot employee Cody Bell, 35, before being killed by another worker. This violence adds to community fears following the unsolved murder of 28-year-old Maria Delles Labrador nearby. Residents express worry about safety, with some feeling the need to carry firearms for protection, particularly due to the proximity of violence to local establishments, including children’s swimming classes. The area is increasingly perceived as dangerous by locals.

YouTube video

A shooting at a cell phone repair shop on the far Northwest Side Tuesday afternoon is adding to concerns that people who live in the area already had.

Source

Continue Reading

Trending