Connect with us

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Local opposition mounts to carbon capture projects in Louisiana

Published

on

lailluminator.com – Natalie McLendon – 2025-02-26 15:09:00

Local opposition mounts to carbon capture projects in Louisiana

by Natalie McLendon, Louisiana Illuminator
February 26, 2025

OBERLIN — Concerns about the risks of carbon capture and sequestration (CCS) projects were the main focus of a community meeting Monday night in Allen Parish. 

We the People, a grassroots movement of Allen Parish community members, hosted the three-hour meeting. The event brought concerned residents and legislators together as panelists spoke to a packed audience at the Allen Parish Civic Center about the safety of storing carbon dioxide underground near the Chicot Aquifer, which provides nearly half of the state’s drinking water. 

Members of Louisiana CO2 Alliance, a multi-parish coalition with reservations about carbon sequestration, also spoke at the meeting. 

“We don’t want eminent domain on these CO2 pipelines. Nor do we want this poison potentially falling into our water,” Roland Hollins, an Allen Parish Police Jury member and Alliance representative, told the Illuminator​.

Dr. Cade Burns, local family physician, talked about the potential health effects of carbon dioxide exposure from CCS projects during a failure or leak. Increasing concentrations of CO2 affects the body with headaches, nausea and confusion at lower levels, while prolonged exposure could lead to anoxic brain injury or death, the doctor said.

“My concern [is] with my local community, my patients, my family. I think that this is something that we all need to really think hard,” Burns said. “Do we want this in our parish? Do we want this in our community?” 

GET THE MORNING HEADLINES.

SUBSCRIBE

Two companies have proposed CO2 storage sites under the Chicot Aquifer. 

ExxonMobil has designated the specific locations of its proposed CO2 injection wells in Louisiana as trade secrets, a move allowed under state law. However, the location of wells used for testing injection pressures is publicly available information. According to the Louisiana Department of Energy and Natural Resources (DENR), ExxonMobil is awaiting permits for its two test wells – Mockingbird IZM and Hummingbird IZM. 

Occidental Petroleum Corp. subsidiary 1PointFive has one permitted test well in Allen Parish. Its Magnolia Sequestration Hub project is funded by a U.S. Department of Energy grant.

According to DENR documents, there are currently 58 Class VI injection well applications across 18 parishes in Louisiana. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is expected to give the state authority to approve Class VI permits later this year, which would allow the injection of carbon dioxide underground.

Frances Cannon, a We the People committee member, told the Illuminator the group’s main concern was the risk carbon sequestration poses to Louisiana’s water supply. 

“We’ve actually got three water aquifers here. We’ve got the Chicot, the Evangeline and the Jasper … It’s not just Allen Parish we’re worried about, it’s all the surrounding parishes.”

In 2024, the Allen Parish Police Jury commissioned McNeese State University and Gulf Engineers and Consultants of Baton Rouge to conduct a risk-benefit analysis of carbon capture and sequestration, according to The American Press.

“The main pipeline from Denbury, which was purchased last year by Exxon, runs about two-tenths of a mile from my house,” Cannon said. “… It’s unbelievable how terribly their pipelines are maintained, so the transport of the CO2 is another issue.”

Earlier this month, a federal regulatory agency fined Denbury $2.4 million for harassing inspectors who were reviewing the company’s work on its CO2 pipeline in Sartaria, Mississippi. The project is meant to replace a pipeline that exploded in 2020, sending 45 people to the hospital. 

Renee Savant, who manages the Louisiana CO2 Alliance, said it will release a step-by-step guide next month to help residents share their feedback on CCS projects with state legislators. She stressed the importance of telling personal stories.

“In this legislative session of 2025, this battle that we’re fighting right now, it’s going to be won or lost, and it’s every one of us who needs to come together,” Savant said.

During the meeting, legislators discussed a new bill that could give local governments more control over CCS well permits. Prefiled in February by Rep. Charles Owen, R-Rosepine. Reps Beryl Amedée, R-Shreveport, Dodie Horton, R-Haughton, and Rodney Schamerhorn, R-Hornbeck, have signed on as cosponsors. The Louisiana Legislature begins this year’s lawmaking session April 14.

State Rep. Charles Owen, R-Rosepine, will sponsor a bill in the 2025 legislative session that would give local government’s the right to approve or reject carbon capture and sequestration projects. (Allison Allsop, Louisiana Illuminator)

“I wish right now that the police jury in Allen or Vernon or Beauregard could just say, ‘We’re not issuing that permit,’ but because of the way our law is established, they can’t,” Owen told the audience. “So what my legislation is going to do is give them that authority.”

The proposed bill would allow parishes to regulate carbon sequestration projects by directly approving or rejecting them. If officials approve a project against public sentiment, residents could petition for a referendum, requiring 15% of registered voters in the parish to sign a petition to put the question on the ballot.

“If I were king for a day and had three more wishes, I would make carbon sequestration an illegal activity,” Owen said, prompting applause. “Carbon sequestration is creating a waste site. Yeah, this is creating a dump, and it is a dangerous dump.”

Owen acknowledged voting for pro-carbon capture legislation in 2020.

“There was a vote in 2020 … every one of us voted for it. They came in and all we were told was, ‘Hey, we’re going to expand this thing called carbon capture, and it’s going to help the oil and gas industry …’ I had no idea it was poison. I wish I had that vote back.”

Owen did vote for a proposal in 2023 that would have placed a moratorium on CCS projects in Lake Maurepas, where Air Products wants to store carbon piped in from its facilities in  Ascension Parish. The bill failed to win approval in the state house.

Hollis called Owen’s bill an opportunity to fight back. 

“We’re up against a giant,” he said. “But where we had no chance, now we do. More landowners and communities are starting to wake up, and sooner or later, those numbers matter.”​

“There’s no value to injecting CO2 under our water – only risks,” Hollis added.​

Under Louisiana law, parishes receive 30% of revenue from CCS projects on state-owned land. Allen Parish won’t get any share from its largest proposed site at West Bay Wildlife Management Area near Oakdale because timber companies own the land. 

Local governments have limited authority to halt CCS projects, and a proposal last year to allow parishes to tax the sites didn’t even get a committee vote. 

The Louisiana CO2 Alliance plans to lobby during the legislative session for new policies, mandatory community alerts, first responder training and removing the $10 million liability cap for CCS companies if they are responsible for an accident at their site.

The next community meeting on carbon capture and sequestration in southwest Louisiana will take place in Jefferson Davis Parish on at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Lacassine Community Center.

YOU MAKE OUR WORK POSSIBLE.

SUPPORT

Correction: This report was updated to correct names.

Louisiana Illuminator is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Louisiana Illuminator maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Greg LaRose for questions: info@lailluminator.com.

The post Local opposition mounts to carbon capture projects in Louisiana appeared first on lailluminator.com

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Jurors view crime scene evidence on Day 3 of Taymor McIntyre’s capital murder trial

Published

on

www.youtube.com – KSAT 12 – 2025-04-03 18:14:36

SUMMARY: On Day 3 of Taymor McIntyre’s capital murder trial, jurors viewed crime scene evidence, including photos and a key 9mm shell casing, related to the 2017 robbery and murder of photographer Mark Salivar. Testimony focused on the investigation’s beginnings, revealing that police found a casing and marijuana at the scene outside a Chick-fil-A. Surveillance footage has been mentioned but not yet shown; it reportedly captures a black car and a struggle with Salivar. Tomorrow, a medical examiner will testify, along with three individuals linked to McIntyre, one of whom took a plea deal. Discussions around McIntyre’s rap career continue to unfold.

YouTube video

Jurors in the capital murder trial of rapper Taymor McIntyre, known as Tay-K-47, viewed key pieces of evidence Thursday, including crime scene photos and a shell casing.

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Jury deliberations set to begin in monumental oil and gas lawsuit | Louisiana

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Nolan McKendry | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-03 14:16:00

(The Center Square) – A historic trial that could compel oil and gas companies to pay billions for Louisiana’s coastal wetlands restoration reached its climax this week, with closing arguments delivered Thursday at the Louisiana 25th Judicial District Court in lower Plaquemines Parish. 

The lawsuit, pitting the parish against companies including Chevron USA, Inc., is the first of 42 similar cases filed since 2013 to reach trial, accusing the industry of violating state permitting laws and exacerbating wetlands loss.

Chevron, The Texas Company, Atlantic Richfield Company, ConocoPhillips, and The Louisiana Land and Exploration Company all filed a motion in opposition in 2022 to keep the case in federal court.

After over a decade of legal battles, Plaquemines Parish, led by attorney John Carmouche, is seeking nearly $3 billion in damages. A victory could set a precedent, potentially forcing oil companies to pay tens of billions across all cases — funds legally mandated for coastal restoration. 

The litigation has weathered three attempts by the companies to shift it to federal court, a venue they viewed as advantageous, with the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals last affirming its return to state court in October of 2022.

“If somebody causes harm, fix it,” Carmouche said in his opening statement. 

The parish alleges decades of unregulated oilfield activity, including canal dredging, devastated its coastline. 

Chevron says it’s being sued for Texaco’s pre-2001 oil and gas work under a 1980 law not meant to cover earlier activities. It also claims the case belongs in federal court since some work tied to World War II was under federal guidance. Chevron acquired Texaco in 2001.

As the jury prepares to deliberate, the outcome could mark a turning point, potentially delivering unprecedented industry accountability for Louisiana’s fading coast—or a major setback for restoration efforts.

The post Jury deliberations set to begin in monumental oil and gas lawsuit | Louisiana appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - Louisiana News Feed

Reproductive Justice Fund up for another San Antonio City Council vote Thursday

Published

on

www.youtube.com – KSAT 12 – 2025-04-03 06:07:38

SUMMARY: The San Antonio City Council is set to vote on whether to allocate an additional $100,000 to the controversial Reproductive Justice Fund, originally designed to help cover travel costs for women seeking abortions. Although nearly half a million dollars in contracts were approved, none funded travel expenses, prompting renewed calls for more financial support. Some groups, like Beat AIDS Coalition Trust, are cautious about applying again, seeking legal assurances regarding abortion-related funding. Advocates emphasize the urgent need for funding, citing a crisis in Texas where women struggle to access abortion care amid ongoing legal challenges and restrictions.

YouTube video

The San Antonio City Council will vote Thursday morning on whether to put another $100,000 into a controversial health fund.

Source

Continue Reading

Trending