Connect with us

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

how Asheville has committed $21.7 million so far to Helene recovery • Asheville Watchdog

Published

on

avlwatchdog.org – ANDREW R. JONES – 2024-11-14 06:23:00

Preparations, cleanup and repairs from Tropical Storm Helene are costing local governments in Buncombe County tens of millions of dollars with many more months to go in the recovery effort.

The City of Asheville has spent or dedicated more than $21.7 million so far, the majority on contracts with companies to repair the mangled water distribution system, according to documents obtained by Asheville Watchdog.

The expenditures range from food for emergency workers to drones to survey damage to emergency road repairs to access the badly damaged water treatment plants.

The city expects full reimbursement for the costs from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Buncombe County, which covers a much larger geographic area, did not provide a breakdown of its storm-related costs. Neither the county nor Asheville has posted its expenditures online, despite pledges from both governments for transparency in public spending.

More than $20.5 million went toward contracts, according to the documents. Asheville also spent $1.2 million between Sept. 25 and Nov. 7 on an assortment of needs, from fast food for workers to side-by-side ATVs for crews to access the water system.

While the price tag is large and growing, the money isn’t coming out of local taxpayers’ pockets, according to the city.

“Per the presidential declaration, all Helene-related expenses in FEMA categories A & B are 100% reimbursable for the first 180 days after the disaster; so yes, we anticipate all of these expenses to be reimbursed by FEMA,” said city spokesperson Kim Miller, who worked with the city’s Cost Recovery Support Group to answer The Watchdog’s questions.

As of Nov. 13, there is no public facing dashboard showing how much Asheville is spending on storm recovery. Asked whether such information would be provided to the public, Miller said city leaders are discussing how to proceed.

“I don’t yet have specifics as to information distribution, but I can say conversations are underway, in alignment with our policy of transparency, to determine the best format with which to share this information with the community,” Miller said.

City Councilmember Kim Roney, who has consistently advocated for spending transparency over the years, said the city was working with an emergency management consulting firm, Hagerty Consulting Inc., to create a public dashboard. The city has entered into a $1 million agreement, part of the $20.5 million it has spent on contracts, with Hagerty Consulting for a broad range of recovery advice services.  

“I continue to support transparency and public engagement, including civic tools like public-facing budget/project dashboards,” Roney said. “I understand staff and the Hagerty (Consulting) firm are in process on such tools.”  

Councilmember Sage Turner said the spending list is far from complete, even 44 days after it started. 

“City spending is as expected, a mix of supplies, repairs, meals, and contracts,” Turner said. “This list will continue to grow in the years ahead and hopefully FEMA will help cover most of these costs. I don’t know where we’d be right now if not for FEMA and state assistance. I’m especially anxious for the rental & mortgage assistance and businesses stabilization funds to be listed on here as paid out; residents desperately need our help to stay housed and in business.”

The Watchdog also asked Buncombe County for specifics on its Helene recovery spending.

The county did not provide a list of expenditures because it is not fulfilling public records requests until Nov. 18 due to “staff issues and other needs.”

“Finance is tracking all spending,” county spokesperson Kassi Day said. “Staff is still in discussions about what the report-out structure will look like – dashboard, report, folder, etc.” 

Purchases at major retailers, restaurants

The city of Asheville made more than 450 expenditures since Sept. 25, according to the spending documents.

Many of these were purchases at major retailers and online stores — including Walmart, Discount Shoes, Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Northern Tool, Target, Walgreens and Ferguson Plumbing, and totaled nearly $100,000. 

Others were made at restaurants and grocery stores — Chick-fil-A, Bojangles, Papa’s & Beer, Ingles and Publix for instance — and totaled roughly $8,000. 

“These expenses are all emergency protective measures including but not limited to tarps, hand trucks, safety vests and cones, storage totes, and other parts/materials/supplies needed,” Miller said. 

As to the food expenditures, she explained, “All expenses were the direct benefit of emergency responders from the City and other supporting organizations.”

An access road by the North Fork Reservoir was washed out and had to be repaired. The largest contracts the city has entered were related to road, pipe and emergency reservoir repairs. // Photo provided by City of Asheville

According to a Watchdog analysis of the data, Asheville spent the most money, $288,000, with Confer & Associates LLC  for  “food service for emergency responders from the city and other supporting organizations.”

It also spent $162,325 with Ferguson Enterprises Inc., which sells plumbing supplies and HVAC parts.  

Among other large expenditures were buys totaling $53,607 at Indidar Enterprises for side-by-side ATVs “for the water department to access system,” according to Miller, and $51,215 at Airworx LLC for a drone system.

City has entered into 85 contracts

Asheville has entered into 85 separate contracts related to Helene, ranging from $10 million to $100. 

The largest contracts were related to road, pipe and emergency reservoir repairs along with disaster management and consulting services:

  • Tennoca Construction Co. –  emergency road repair to access water system – $10 million
  • T. P. Howard’s Plumbing Co. Inc. – emergency pipe repair and replacement for water department – $2 million
  • T&K Utilities Inc. – emergency pipe repair and replacement  for water department – $2 million
  • Cotton Logistics Inc. – potable water and shower trailers – $1.4 million
  • Hagerty Consulting Inc. – disaster recovery management services – $1 million
  • Phillips & Jordan Inc. – emergency repairs to North Fork and Bee Tree reservoirs – $1 million

Some companies entered into more than one contract with the city, according to the documents.


Asheville Watchdog is a nonprofit news team producing stories that matter to Asheville and Buncombe County. Andrew R. Jones is a Watchdog investigative reporter. Email arjones@avlwatchdog.org. The Watchdog’s local reporting during this crisis is made possible by donations from the community. To show your support for this vital public service go to avlwatchdog.org/support-our-publication/.

Original article

The post how Asheville has committed $21.7 million so far to Helene recovery • Asheville Watchdog appeared first on avlwatchdog.org

The Watchdog

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

Analysis: ‘Valley’ of AI journey risks human foundational, unique traits | National

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Alan Wooten | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-02 14:21:00

(The Center Square) – Minority benefit against the majority giving up “agency, creativity, decision-making and other vital skills” in what is described as a valley of an artificial intelligence journey is likely in the next few years, says one voice among hundreds in a report from Elon University.

John M. Stuart’s full-length essay, one of 200 such responses in “Being Human in 2035: How Are We Changing in the Age of AI?,” speaks to the potential problems foreseen as artificial intelligence continues to be incorporated into everyday life by many at varying levels from professional to personal to just plain curious. The report authored by Janna Anderson and Lee Rainie of Elon’s Imagining the Digital Future Center says “the fragile future of some foundational and unique traits” found only in humans is a concern for 6 in 10.

“I fear – the time being – that while there will be a growing minority benefitting ever more significantly with these tools, most people will continue to give up agency, creativity, decision-making and other vital skills to these still-primitive AIs and the tools will remain too centralized and locked down with interfaces that are simply out of our personal control as citizens,” writes Smart, a self-billed global futurist, foresight consultant, entrepreneur and CEO of Foresight University. “I fear we’re still walking into an adaptive valley in which things continue to get worse before they get better. Looking ahead past the next decade, I can imagine a world in which open-source personal AIs are trustworthy and human-centered.

“Many political reforms will reempower our middle class and greatly improve rights and autonomy for all humans, whether or not they are going through life with PAIs. I would bet the vast majority of us will consider ourselves joined at the hip to our digital twins once they become useful enough. I hope we have the courage, vision and discipline to get through this AI valley as quickly and humanely as we can.”

Among the ideas by 2035 from the essays, Paul Saffo offered, “The first multi-trillion-dollar corporation will employ no humans except legally required executives and board, have no offices, own no property and operate entirely through AI and automated systems.”

Saffo is a futurist and technology forecaster in the Silicon Valley of California, and a consulting professor at the School of Engineering at Stanford.

In another, Vint Cerf wrote, “We may find it hard to distinguish between artificial personalities and the real ones. That may result in a search for reliable proof of humanity so that we and bots can tell the difference.”

Cerf is generally known as one of the “fathers of the internet” alongside Robert Kahn and for the internet protocol suite, colloquially known as TCP/IP.

Working alongside the well-respected Elon University Poll, the survey asked, “What might be the magnitude of overall change in the next decade in people’s native operating systems and operations as we more broadly adapt to and use advanced AIs by 2035? From five choices, 61% said considerable (deep and meaningful change 38%) and dramatic (fundamental, revolutionary change 23%) and another 31% said moderate and noticeable, meaning clear and distinct.

Only 5% said minor change and 3% no noticeable change.

“This report is a revealing and provocative declaration to the profound depth of change people are undergoing – often without really noticing at all – as we adapt to deeper uses of advancing AI technology,” Anderson said. “Collectively, these experts are calling on humanity to think intentionally and carefully, taking wise actions now, so we do not sleepwalk into an AI future that we never intended and do not want.”

In another question, respondents answered whether artificial intelligence and related technologies are likely to change the essence of being human. Fifty percent said changes were equally better and worse, 23% said mostly for the worse, and 16% said mostly for the better.

The analysis predicted change mostly negative in nine areas: social and emotional intelligence; capacity and willingness to think deeply about complex concepts; trust in widely shared values and norms; confidence in their native abilities; empathy and application of moral judgment; mental well-being; sense of agency; sense of identity and purpose; and metacognition.

Mostly positive, the report says, are curiosity and capacity to learn; decision-making and problem-solving; and innovative thinking and creativity.

Anderson and Rainie and those working on the analysis did not use large language models for writing and editing, or in analysis of the quantitative data for the qualitative essays. Authors said there was brief experimentation and human realization “there were serious flaws and inaccuracies.” The report says 223 of 301 who responded did so “fully generated out of my own mind, with no LLM assistance.”

Results were gathered between Dec. 27 and Feb. 1.

The post Analysis: ‘Valley’ of AI journey risks human foundational, unique traits | National appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

Trump urged to reconsider order gutting agency that gives grants to libraries, museums

Published

on

ncnewsline.com – Shauneen Miranda – 2025-04-02 13:00:00

SUMMARY: On March 14, 2025, President Donald Trump signed an executive order to dramatically reduce funding for seven federal agencies, including the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), which awarded $266.7 million in 2024. The order aims to eliminate non-essential functions and cut agency personnel to legal minimums. The move sparked backlash from library and museum organizations, warning it would severely impact early literacy programs, internet access, job assistance, and community services. Critics urged Congress to intervene, while the administration framed the cuts as part of efforts to reduce government waste under the U.S. DOGE Service initiative led by Elon Musk. 

Read the full article

The post Trump urged to reconsider order gutting agency that gives grants to libraries, museums appeared first on ncnewsline.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - North Carolina News Feed

Raleigh City Council discusses transforming area near Lenovo Center, hears concerns

Published

on

www.youtube.com – ABC11 – 2025-04-02 08:44:01


SUMMARY: Raleigh City Council is considering a major redevelopment project near the Lenovo Center that would create a new sports and entertainment district with high-rise buildings, restaurants, shops, and upgraded arena facilities. The proposal, supported by city leaders and the Carolina Hurricanes—who agreed to stay for 20 more years—has drawn both excitement and concerns. Students and staff from nearby Cardinal Gibbons High School support the project but worry about pedestrian safety and construction impacts. City leaders suggested annual reviews to address ongoing issues. The council postponed rezoning decisions until April 15 to allow for more discussion and public input.

YouTube video

New details are emerging about the bold new development that could transform the area around Raleigh’s Lenovo Center, creating a new entertainment district around the arena in west Raleigh.

More: https://abc11.com/post/raleigh-city-council-will-discuss-future-including-wake-bus-rapid-transit-project-housing-security/16114907/
Download: https://abc11.com/apps/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ABC11/
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@abc11_wtvd
X: https://x.com/ABC11_WTVD
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abc11_wtvd/
TIKTOK: https://www.tiktok.com/@abc11_eyewitnessnews

Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/c/ABC11-WTVD

Source

Continue Reading

Trending