Connect with us

News from the South - South Carolina News Feed

Former Republican congressman warns Trump’s tariffs could bring ‘severe consequences’

Published

on

www.youtube.com – WPDE ABC15 – 2025-04-03 09:17:46


SUMMARY: Former President Trump announced aggressive new tariffs, calling it a “liberation day” for the U.S. and declaring economic independence. A baseline 10% tariff will apply to nearly all imports, with additional “discounted reciprocal tariffs” targeting countries like China. Trump argues this will boost American manufacturing and bring jobs back. However, critics, including a former Republican congressman, warn these measures could worsen inflation and risk a recession. Businesses say price hikes could hit consumers quickly. European nations plan retaliatory tariffs, and a Senate effort to curb Trump’s powers over Canadian goods is unlikely to succeed in the House.

YouTube video

During a Rose Garden signing ceremony Wednesday afternoon, President Donald Trump marked what he believed will be America’s “declaration of economic independence” by announcing an aggressive arsenal of tariffs he said will usher in a “golden age” of American manufacturing, but economists and many executives warn will exacerbate inflation and increase the odds of a recession.

“For American families that are sitting around the kitchen table trying to figure out their budgets, any disruption is a lot on them right now and there’s got to be some sensitivity to that,” said former Rep. Drew Ferguson, a Republican who completed his fourth term representing Georgia’s 3rd Congressional District earlier this year.

Read more: https://wpde.com/news/nation-world/republican-former-congressman-warns-trump-tariffs-could-have-severe-consequences-rep-drew-ferguson-rose-garden-president-donald-trimp-reciprocal-tariffs-foreign-automobiles-supply-chain#

_______________
Stay up to date with our social media:

WPDE on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WPDEABC15/
WPDE on Twitter: https://twitter.com/wpdeabc15
Subscribe to WPDE on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0sxo5Ocp8eSFqr9F1URpg/?sub_confirmation=1

Daily News Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCFE982C7D59E70C1

For more information, visit https://wpde.com/

Have a news tip? Send it directly to us:

Email us: abc15news@wpde.com
Call the Newsroom: 843.487.3001

WPDE is a SC based station and an ABC Television affiliate owned and operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group. WWMB is a SC based station and a CW Television affiliate owned and operated by Howard Stirk Holdings and receives certain services from an affiliation of Sinclair Broadcast Group.

#WPDE #ABC15News #ABC15 #WPDE15 #MyrtleBeach #taxes #trending #trump #trumptaxes #taxcuts #tariffs #liberationday #finance #economy #recession

Source

News from the South - South Carolina News Feed

ALEC: South Carolina 22nd in energy retail price | South Carolina

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Alan Wooten | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-03 09:03:00

(The Center Square) – With heavy nuclear reliance, South Carolina is 22nd in energy affordability in the Energy Affordability 2025 report from the American Legislative Exchange Council.

“South Carolina’s energy policies, including a renewable portfolio standard and net metering, have introduced higher costs to consumers,” ALEC says. “The RPS mandates increased investment in renewable energy, often leading to higher electricity prices as utilities pass the costs of new infrastructure and technology on to ratepayers.

“Similarly, net metering, while encouraging residential adoption of solar power, can result in higher rates for nonparticipating consumers, as the costs of grid maintenance and backup power are spread across all customers.”

The report says the average retail price in cents per kilowatt-hour is 10.74. Total retail sales in megawatt-hours are 82.7 million.

Nuclear (56%), natural gas (25%), coal (15%), solar (2%) and hydroelectric (2%) represent the top generation sources.

The state does not have a cap-and-trade. This means permits are not issued for trade to incentives for emission reductions.

In its summary, ALEC says, “Despite implementing these progressive energy policies, South Carolina still faces considerable challenges in maintaining energy reliability, as indicated by the 15 reported incidents during the study period. These reliability issues reflect vulnerabilities in the state’s energy infrastructure, which may be further strained by the aging nuclear facilities and the moderate diversification of its energy mix.

“As South Carolina continues to navigate the balance between renewable energy growth and cost-effective, reliable power, the impact of its current policies on consumers should be carefully evaluated.”

The post ALEC: South Carolina 22nd in energy retail price | South Carolina appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - South Carolina News Feed

A $1.8 billion mistake could cost the South Carolina treasurer his job

Published

on

www.abccolumbia.com – Associated Press – 2025-04-02 18:37:00

SUMMARY: For the first time in over 200 years, South Carolina lawmakers are attempting to remove a statewide elected official, Republican Treasurer Curtis Loftis, due to a $1.8 billion accounting error and his failure to report it. Loftis argues that the removal effort is politically motivated, claiming it threatens his office’s integrity and financial oversight. A recent report revealed ongoing inaccuracies in the state’s accounts for over a decade, leading to concerns about Loftis’s management. A Senate subcommittee is conducting hearings on the matter, but support for Loftis’s removal appears limited in the House and among Republican leaders.

Read the full article

The post A $1.8 billion mistake could cost the South Carolina treasurer his job appeared first on www.abccolumbia.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - South Carolina News Feed

Burn permits available in North Carolina; 3 teens arrested in South Carolina | North Carolina

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Alan Wooten | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-02 08:13:00

(The Center Square) – Burning permits became available and the ban from burning covering all 100 North Carolina counties was lifted Wednesday, the same day three teens were arrested in South Carolina related to the Table Rock fire near Pickens.

Conditions that fueled multiple wildfires in the Carolinas, in part from downed trees caused by Hurricane Helene six months ago, are significantly improved. North Carolina Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler said recent wildfire activity is a reminder “to remain vigilant about burning safely and responsibly.”

In South Carolina, arrests were made by Forestry Commission law enforcement officials of Nyzaire Jah-Neiz Marsh, 19, of Taylors; Tristan Tyler, 18, of Greenville; and Isaac Wilson, 18, of Greenville. The South Carolinians are charged with a single count each of “negligently allowing fire to spread to lands or property of another,” a release says.

A fourth suspect, a juvenile, is also charged with the same offense though he was not booked, the release said.

The Forestry Commission says it has evidence linking the trio to smoking and not extinguishing cigarettes in a proper and safe manner, leading to the Table Rock fire.

Five South Carolina counties – Oconee, Pickens, Greenville, Spartanburg and Horry – remain under an outdoor burning ban.

The Table Rock fire, the commission said, has gotten about 1.5 inches of rain over a two-day period this week. The size is 13,287 acres, with 635 of those in North Carolina. The fire started March 21 and is about 30% contained. The Persimmon Ridge fire, ignited March 22, is about 2,078 acres and 74% contained.

In North Carolina, containment has grown to 100% for the Fish Hook fire, 93% for the Black Cove fire, and 60% for the Deep Woods fire. The three are considered a complex under the name Black Cove, covering 7,670 acres (Deep Woods 3,969 acres, Black Cove 3,502, and Fish Hook 199).

While conditions have been helped by the rain, the North Carolina Forest Service said conditions are slick and slippery for firefighters.

The post Burn permits available in North Carolina; 3 teens arrested in South Carolina | North Carolina appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

Trending