Connect with us

News from the South - Florida News Feed

Commerce nominee Lutnick in confirmation hearing backs Trump’s tariff plans • Florida Phoenix

Published

on

floridaphoenix.com – Shauneen Miranda – 2025-01-30 11:28:00

Commerce nominee Lutnick in confirmation hearing backs Trump’s tariff plans

by Shauneen Miranda, Florida Phoenix
January 30, 2025

WASHINGTON — Billionaire businessman Howard Lutnick got a step closer to potentially serving as the next Commerce secretary after largely sailing through his confirmation hearing Wednesday before a U.S. Senate panel.

If confirmed by the Senate, which appears likely, Lutnick would lead the department responsible for promoting and serving the country’s international trade and economic growth. He would be critical to carrying out President Donald Trump’s vision for imposing big tariffs.

“We need healthy businesses — small, medium and large — to hire our great American workers to drive our economy,” Lutnick told the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.

The New Yorker said he would dedicate himself to “making our government more responsive, working to ensure Americans have the greatest opportunity for success.”

During the lengthy hearing that featured questions from senators on both sides of the aisle regarding artificial intelligence, trade policy, manufacturing and export controls, Lutnick said he believes that the country’s farmers, ranchers and fishermen are “treated with disrespect around the world.”

‘Across the board’ tariffs

Lutnick, who prefers “across the board” tariffs, said “we need that disrespect to end, and I think tariffs are a way to create reciprocity, to be treated fairly, to be treated appropriately, and I think it will help our farmers, our ranchers, our fishermen — to flourish.”

The Commerce Department’s wide portfolio also touches on technology, science and innovation.

Some of the department’s 13 bureaus include the International Trade Administration, the U.S. Census Bureau, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

The department is also responsible for carrying out the bipartisan CHIPS and Science Act, which authorizes billions of dollars in funding for the production and research of semiconductors in the United States.

Lutnick said he thinks the CHIPS and Science Act was an “excellent down payment” in U.S. semiconductor manufacturing and noted that “we need to study it.”

Lutnick also said he has a “very jaundiced view” regarding China. “I think they only care about themselves and seek to harm us, and so we need to protect ourselves — we need to drive our innovation — and we need to stop helping them.”

Vice President J.D. Vance praised Lutnick during an introduction of the nominee, dubbing him “just a good dude.” 

Vance, who served on the commerce panel while a U.S. senator representing Ohio, said Lutnick “is a person who on the world stage will say more and do more and convince businesses that America is back — that America is growing and thriving.”

Trump is promoting an “America First Trade Policy” and issued a memo last week that called for the Treasury secretary, in consultation with the Commerce and Homeland Security secretaries, to consider the establishment of an External Revenue Service.

The agency would “collect tariffs, duties, and other foreign trade-related revenues,” according to the memo. 

Trump also directed the Commerce secretary to “investigate the causes of our country’s large and persistent annual trade deficits in goods.”

Potential conflicts of interest

Lutnick, who’s taken heat over his business ties and potential conflicts of interest, vowed to sell all his business interests within 90 days, if confirmed.

“I made the decision that I made enough money in my life,” Lutnick said. “I can take care of myself, I can take care of my family. It is now my chance to serve the American people.”

He currently has or previously had a position in more than 800 organizations and businesses outside the government, according to his financial disclosure report.

Lutnick is the chairman and chief operating officer of Cantor Fitzgerald, a large financial services firm. He rebuilt the company after more than 650 employees, including his brother, died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

He also established a multimillion-dollar fund for the families of the victims.  

Last updated 6:15 p.m., Jan. 29, 2025

Florida Phoenix is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Florida Phoenix maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Michael Moline for questions: info@floridaphoenix.com.

News from the South - Florida News Feed

Florida Dreamers aren’t giving up just yet

Published

on

floridaphoenix.com – Mitch Perry – 2025-04-04 06:00:00

by Mitch Perry, Florida Phoenix
April 4, 2025

In a sweeping immigration bill designed to help President Donald Trump enact his mass deportations of unauthorized immigrants, the Florida Legislature earlier this year repealed a 2014 law allowing individuals brought to the U.S. as children without documentation, known as “Dreamers,” to pay in-state tuition rates at Florida colleges and universities.

That abrupt change will affect approximately 6,500 undergraduates, according to the Florida Policy Institute.

When the measure went before the Florida Senate in February, South Florida Democrat Jason Pizzo offered an amendment to grandfather in any dreamer enrolled in a state college or university so they could continue pay that in-state tuition for an additional four years.

It didn’t pass.

Advocates aren’t giving up, though. This week, the group TheDream.US trekked to the Capitol to resume the fight. Specifically, they hope to revive the idea of allowing students now enrolled to continue paying in-state rates until they graduate.

“Right now, they’re working on the budget, and we know that the budget needs to pass, right?” said TheDream.US president and CEO Gaby Pacheco.

“And so it could be a potential vehicle for us to get a grandfathered-in clause. The hope is that the House as they’re working through this perhaps put in an amendment. We’re not legislators, so we don’t necessarily know the ins and outs. We’re just hoping that they know that this is important for the state of Florida, for their constituents, for these students and our college systems.”

Pacheco made regular visits to the Capitol in 2023 to defend against the threatened cutoff of in-state tuition for dreamers. Gov. Ron DeSantis announced before that legislative session a slate of proposals cracking down on illegal immigration.

Yet, somehow, the law survived that year. It wasn’t the first time that some Republicans in the Legislature had attempted to repeal the measure. But after last year’s election, in which illegal immigration was a central issue, DeSantis made it clear to state lawmakers at the beginning of this year that he wanted the law struck down.

‘Everything that I’ve fought for’

Among those joining Pacheco in the Capitol this week was a 20-year-old student from the University of Central Florida who wanted to be identified only by her first name of Callie, out of fear she could be targeted because of her immigration status.

She’s a junior majoring in advertising and public relations who has accumulated 80 credits toward her degree and says that will be up to 100 by the end of the spring semester — not enough yet to graduate.

But as of July 1, when the law takes effect, she’ll be forced to pay full tuition. “That means I can no longer afford my public education and will have to give up everything that I’ve fought for,” she said.

In addition to her studies, Cailie works between 20 and 36 hours a week at Publix and spends her free time volunteering to help students prepare college scholarship applications. Her tuition is roughly $2,800 a semester, covered through a scholarship from TheDream.US. It will more than double after the law takes effect — an amount she says she can’t bear.

Cailie, 20, migrated to the United States from Haiti almost seven years ago. Her parents aren’t supporting her, she said, as she was forced to leave home at 16. Her rough upbringing compelled her to try to make a better life for herself but, without the benefit of in-state tuition, “it’s impossible.”

She spent part of Tuesday meeting with lawmakers to explain her plight, although she knows it’s an uphill battle.

“It’s hard to get people to change their mind, so all we’re asking for are the current students to be grandfathered in and protected for now,” she said. “Because most of us only have a few more credits to go, and it’s so unfair that we had to fight so hard to get here and just knowing that all of a sudden it meant nothing? That’s hard.”

Cailie’s ambition is to start her own business helping other students from low-income families get educations like she’s been able to achieve — for now, anyway.

“I want to be a role model to show them that I come from an undeveloped country, that I didn’t have the same opportunities as everybody else, and I made it, so it’s possible. The U.S. is a country of opportunists, but now I’m wondering if that’s even true anymore.”

Pacheco acknowledges her group has limited leverage with the Legislature, but believes it’s worth the effort.

“At the end of the day, we’re practically begging,” she said. “We’re saying, ‘Please do not do this to these students. Please do not do this to 6,000 young people who have worked so hard to get so far, and that are so close to be able to get those college degrees.’”

YOU MAKE OUR WORK POSSIBLE.

SUPPORT

Florida Phoenix is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Florida Phoenix maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Michael Moline for questions: info@floridaphoenix.com.

The post Florida Dreamers aren’t giving up just yet appeared first on floridaphoenix.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - Florida News Feed

Consumers fear Trump's tariffs will hike prices

Published

on

www.youtube.com – CBS Miami – 2025-04-03 21:40:23

SUMMARY: Consumers are feeling the financial impact of President Trump’s recent tariff policies, particularly at grocery stores. Shoppers report significant price increases on essential items, with one mother noting the price of eggs and milk has risen from around a dollar to over three dollars. Families, like Ruby King’s of seven, are struggling with rising costs, including an additional $250 in rent. The president has imposed tariffs of 20% on EU goods and 34% on Chinese imports, which will raise prices for consumers. While the stock market faced a sharp decline, financial experts advise against making impulsive changes to retirement plans based on short-term fluctuations.

YouTube video

Consumers express concern that President Trump’s tariffs could lead to higher prices, impacting their wallets by increasing the …

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Florida News Feed

Florida Senate wants to appropriate $200M to help struggling citrus industry | Florida

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Steve Wilson | The Center Square – (The Center Square – ) 2025-04-03 12:55:00

(The Center Square) – Florida Senate President Ben Albritton wants to spend $200 million to help the state’s ailing citrus industry as it faces the issues of population growth, hurricanes and an invasive disease that ruins the fruit.

The Wauchula Republican whose district constitutes the heart of Florida’s citrus country proposes spending $190 million for grove management, therapeutic tools and disease-resistant varieties for new plantings and the rehabilitation of existing trees.

The Senate’s budget proposal, Senate Bill 2500, would also appropriate $10 million to assist citrus producers increase their yields. Growers would receive $125 million of the $190 million to purchase new trees, while $10 million would be for citrus packing houses. 

“Mark my words, Florida citrus is not going down on my watch,” Albritton said in a news release announcing the proposal. “This heritage industry is not only vital to our state’s economy, but it is truly a part of the DNA of Florida. To those growers who are left in the business, hear me when I say, you are not forgotten, you are not alone, and the Florida Senate is running to this fight.

“Research and new technologies offer a renewed hope for the future of citrus. Florida will lead the way in pursuing these opportunities. We’re on the edge of something special. Florida citrus is making a comeback, one tree at a time.”

But is it too late?

Florida’s production of citrus fruit has plummeted 90% in the past two decades, going from 300 million boxes to only 20 million boxes, according to a data from a December report by the nonprofit group Florida Taxwatch.

One of the issues is citrus greening disease, which has infected all of the state’s commercial groves. The disease causes the fruit to become bitter and eventually kills the trees. There is no cure and $61 million has been spent by state officials on research to no avail.

The bacterial infection spread by an invasive insect, the Asian citrus psyllid, appeared in 2005 and, according to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, can reduce production by 75% and doubled production costs from 2005 to 2015. 

Destructive hurricanes also have played havoc with the state’s groves. In 2004, four hurricanes made landfall in Florida: Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne and the state’s citrus product dropped by 150 million boxes.

In 2024, three hurricanes – Beryl, Helene and Milton – hit the state in 66 days. As a result, the USDA predicted in December a 20% drop from the October forecast for all orange production and levels were down across the board for citrus. 

Freezes can also affect citrus yields as well. 

Non-Valencia oranges were predicted to have a 17% drop from the October forecast, 22% falloff for Valencia oranges, 14% reduction for grapefruit and tangerine and mandarin production predicted to fall by 13%.

Population growth, according to Florida Taxwatch, has also played a role as growers find selling their land to developers more lucrative than continuing to struggle amid hurricanes and rising production costs.  

At stake is a $6.9 billion industry that Florida Taxwatch says supports more than 32,000 jobs.

The post Florida Senate wants to appropriate $200M to help struggling citrus industry | Florida appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

Continue Reading

Trending