News from the South - Kentucky News Feed
Beshear authorizes $14.7 million to Kentucky schools to cover budget shortfall
Beshear authorizes $14.7 million to Kentucky schools to cover budget shortfall
by McKenna Horsley, Kentucky Lantern
February 13, 2025
FRANKFORT — Gov. Andy Beshear is authorizing $14.7 million to cover part of a $40 million state funding shortfall facing public schools.
The Democratic governor announced during his weekly press conference that he is granting a request from Education Commissioner Robbie Fletcher for additional SEEK funds, or Support Education Excellence in Kentucky, to cover the statutorily required $14.7 million the current budget is expected to miss.
With Fletcher present, Beshear said he was “excited to remove this pending burden on our public schools.” The governor also said he hoped he could do more for schools in the future, such as his long-standing proposal to increase school employees’ salaries and implement universal pre-K programs statewide. The amount he authorized was the most he could do under past budget legislation.
“We were able to get the final numbers earlier than originally expected, which allows us to fill this budget hole so that our schools can plan appropriately,” Beshear said. “So to all of our public educators — we care about you, we love you, and we need you.”
Fletcher released a memo last month that said the Kentucky Department of Education is predicting a funding shortfall of about $40 million in the 2024-25 academic year, after “a detailed review of preliminary data.” The $14.7 million request is part of that number. The remaining amount are funds designated for local school districts if available.
Fletcher said he and Kentucky’s public schools appreciated the governor’s authorization. He also added that he and KDE would continue to discuss possible future funding with lawmakers, depending on the availability of funds.
“This action demonstrates what can be achieved for public schools and our students through collaborative efforts,” Fletcher said.
The SEEK formula determines state funding to local school districts. It has a base per-pupil funding allocation, along with additional funding for factors like transportation costs or the number of students in a district who qualify for additional resources like special education, free or reduced-price meals and English language assistance.
KDE officials appeared before a House committee this week and said the estimates were made in fall of 2023. There, they said if no action was taken, the $14.7 million would come out of monthly payments given to school districts between April and June. The required $14.7 million is about 0.5% of the $2.7 billion appropriated for schools through SEEK.
Last week, Republican House Speaker David Osborne, of Prospect, reiterated comments he made after KDE raised the alarm on a possible SEEK funding shortfall. Osborne said it was a “disturbing trend” to “continue to see bad information and bad data.” He added that it has been “several years now that we have seen inaccurate information.”
Kentucky Lantern is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Kentucky Lantern maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Jamie Lucke for questions: info@kentuckylantern.com.
News from the South - Kentucky News Feed
Flooding rain and storms expected through the weekend
SUMMARY: Heavy rain and storms are expected through the weekend, with flooding risks and severe weather in parts of Kentucky. This morning, heavy rainfall continues near the metro area, with thunderstorms affecting the southern regions. While temperatures are warm in the 60s and 70s, the rain and storms will persist, possibly becoming stronger in southern communities later today. Flooding is a major concern, with predictions of 6-10 inches of rain through Sunday morning. A break in the storms is expected Friday afternoon, but more severe storms will develop by Friday night into Saturday. Temperatures will drop significantly by Sunday.

WLKY Meteorologist Matt Milosevich has the latest on several rounds of heavy rain and storms in the forecast through the weekend.
Subscribe to WLKY on YouTube now for more: http://bit.ly/1e5KyMO
Get more Louisville news: http://www.wlky.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/wlkynews
Follow us: http://twitter.com/WLKY
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wlky/
News from the South - Kentucky News Feed
3 killed in fiery Lexington crash temporarily shuts down portion of New Circle Road
SUMMARY: A fiery crash on New Circle Road in Lexington killed three people on Monday afternoon, involving a U-Haul truck and a construction van. The crash, near Liberty Road and Trade Center Drive, caused the van to catch fire, and witnesses described the sound as an explosion. Investigators are reviewing video footage to determine the cause, considering factors like speed and distractions. The victims were identified as William Kelly, Emma Hayden, and Oex Andar Tishko. Lexington sees over 15,000 crashes annually, and officials stress the importance of avoiding distractions and driving safely, especially with weather conditions affecting road safety.

A portion of New Circle Road in Lexington was temporarily shut down in both directions Monday afternoon due to a deadly crash.
Subscribe to FOX 56 News on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/FOX56News/?sub_confirmation=1
Stay informed about central Kentucky news, weather, and sports! Follow FOX 56 on our website and social channels:
https://www.FOX56News.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/FOX56News
https://www.facebook.com/FOX56News
https://twitter.com/FOX56News
https://www.instagram.com/FOX56News
https://www.linkedin.com/company/FOX56News
News from the South - Kentucky News Feed
Drug Task Force investigates “vape shops,” uncovers over 100lbs of marijuana
SUMMARY: Three Bowling Green, Kentucky businesses—Smoke & Vape, Smoke & Vape Superstore, and Smoke Department—were investigated by the Bowling Green-Warren County Drug Task Force and other law enforcement agencies following complaints about illegal sales to minors. Undercover purchases revealed plant material with THC levels between 18.1% and 29.8%, far above the legal limit of 0.3%. Search warrants led to the seizure of over 116 pounds of marijuana, more than 21,000 pre-rolled marijuana blunts, and a handgun. The investigation’s findings have been submitted to the Commonwealth Attorney for potential grand jury action. The case remains ongoing, with further THC testing underway.
The post Drug Task Force investigates “vape shops,” uncovers over 100lbs of marijuana appeared first on www.wnky.com
-
Mississippi Today2 days ago
Pharmacy benefit manager reform likely dead
-
News from the South - Alabama News Feed7 days ago
Severe storms will impact Alabama this weekend. Damaging winds, hail, and a tornado threat are al…
-
News from the South - Alabama News Feed6 days ago
University of Alabama student detained by ICE moved to Louisiana
-
News from the South - Oklahoma News Feed5 days ago
Tornado watch, severe thunderstorm warnings issued for Oklahoma
-
News from the South - Virginia News Feed6 days ago
Youngkin removes Ellis, appoints Cuccinelli to UVa board | Virginia
-
News from the South - Kentucky News Feed7 days ago
A little early morning putting at the PGA Tour Superstore
-
News from the South - Georgia News Feed5 days ago
Georgia road project forcing homeowners out | FOX 5 News
-
News from the South - West Virginia News Feed6 days ago
Hometown Hero | Restaurant owner serves up hope