News from the South - North Carolina News Feed
Asheville Mayor, Buncombe officials among delegation headed to D.C. to appeal for more Helene assistance • Asheville Watchdog
Carrying a list of staggering losses and needs and initial requests totaling more than $2 billion, public officials from Asheville and Buncombe County will travel to Washington, D.C., on Wednesday to ask federal agencies and Congressional representatives to “add a zero” to the amount of federal aid for storm-ravaged western North Carolina.
The delegation of local leaders from across the region — including Asheville Mayor Esther Manheimer, Buncombe County Commissioners Amanda Edwards and Parker Sloan, Canton Mayor Zeb Smathers, Madison County Manager Rod Honeycutt, Lake Lure Mayor Pro Tem Dave DiOrio, and Chimney Rock Mayor Peter O’Leary, among others — will meet Gov. Roy Cooper at the White House on Wednesday and join with Gov.-Elect Josh Stein to meet with Congressional staffers on Thursday.
The delegation of regional officials traveling to Washington is believed to be unprecedented, but “we have literally never seen a disaster like Hurricane Helene,” Edwards, Chair-Elect of the county commission, told The Watchdog. “There’s literally nothing to compare it to. I think it’s important [for federal officials] to see that we’re not operating just in our own city, county, and municipality silos. I think that has to make our request even stronger.”
The Buncombe County delegation shared with Asheville Watchdog a two-page draft document, “Preliminary Hurricane Helene Relief Needs,” that they will deliver to federal officials. The document cites short-term needs for the county that include:
- $300 million to repair, replace, or construct housing units damaged or destroyed by Helene. An estimated 4,200 residential buildings and 400 commercial buildings were significantly damaged by floodwaters and landslides, including more than 500 structures completely swept away or destroyed.
- $55 million for county infrastructure, and to offset lost tax revenue from restaurants, hotels, breweries and other local businesses. Compared to last year, the local economy is down 70 percent in revenue since Tropical Storm Helene pummeled the region Sept. 27.
- $50 million to repair or replace more than 600 roads and 100 bridges in the county. Even more roads and bridges are expected to degrade over time because of flooding damage.
- $50 million to restore Buncombe County streambanks and watersheds damaged during the storm, and to repair damage on agricultural lands.
- $50 million to repair, fortify, and create backups for critical services including the power grid, the water system, cellular and broadband services, and other basic community needs.
“This is a reflection of our short-term need, measured in months, and by no means a calculation of our total impact or longer-term need,” Sloan told The Watchdog.
Specific Requests for Asheville
In its own document, “Asheville Helene Request for White House Action,” and a similar document for Congress, the City of Asheville lists its “most urgent needs for ongoing Federal support” and outlines “how Congress and the Federal government can support our greatest areas of need: housing, economic loss, potable water provision and quality, infrastructure, transportation, and long-term resiliency.”

“As the economic driver of the region, the City’s physical and economic recovery will determine how western North Carolina moves forward for years to come,” the document states.
Manheimer said the sum of the city’s requests would total somewhere between $1.7 billion and $2 billion. Those numbers include federal reimbursement to FEMA and the Small Business Administration and other federal agencies for assistance already given, she said, as well as costs to rebuild and repair infrastructure and buildings and clean up storm debris.
“We have specific asks, specific to Asheville, around resiliency, and the water system, addressing housing needs, and business recovery,” Manheimer said.
Sloan said the delegation hopes to “put a face to the issue” by meeting with U.S. Sens. Thom Tillis and Ted Budd and U.S. Rep. Chuck Edwards, White House and Congressional staff, and agencies including Housing and Urban Development and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
The delegation also plans to meet with members or staff of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees and subcommittees, which are seen as the most important venues for securing necessary funding, Sloan said.
Congress recently re-convened after the November elections, and Sloan said the hope is to persuade lawmakers to pass emergency aid between Thanksgiving and the end of the year.
Unemployment rate: 12% and rising
The group plans to “convey the seriousness of the situation” in post-Helene Asheville and Buncombe County, where 43 people were killed by the storm. In total, more than 100 people were killed by the storm and its effects in western North Carolina.

For Buncombe alone, Sloan cited a local unemployment rate that has soared to 12 percent and is expected to rise, and 26,172 disaster-related unemployment claims. Hundreds of local businesses have either closed or relocated, he said.
The county calculated lost business revenues of more than $584 million for what normally is the busiest quarter of the tourism season, as receipts plunged for restaurants and breweries, lodging, recreation and entertainment companies, retail shops and art galleries, and transportation companies.
“These losses in revenue impact the County’s property, sales, and occupancy tax rates which ultimately support the programs and services needed to maintain existing public safety, emergency management and other functions,” the county officials stated in the document they plan to present in Washington.
Noting that Tropical Storm Helene was the most destructive storm to hit North Carolina in modern history, and quite different from hurricanes that have hit the state’s Atlantic coast, Sloan said the group’s goal is to persuade federal officials that Helene was uniquely damaging and deserves a unique level of aid.
“Whatever funding metrics people think about for these types of things, they should add a zero to the end,” Sloan said.
Assembly ties disaster aid to politics
In Raleigh, the General Assembly of North Carolina on Tuesday was considering an omnibus disaster recovery act that would immediately transfer an additional $227 million in state funding to the Helene recovery fund. But Republicans in the Assembly have made the extra relief money contingent on transferring authority over the state’s Board of Elections to the state auditor’s office, a move that would place administration and appointment of its members under GOP control and strip the authority from Gov.-Elect Josh Stein, a Democrat.
Senate Bill 382 would also tie western North Carolina’s relief money to significant statewide changes to public education, law enforcement, the duties of the attorney general, environmental protection, public utility oversight, and the state judiciary.
“I think it’s really unfortunate that we could not have a separate bill that addresses the hurricane relief, and that it had to be lumped into other controversial measures,” County Commission Chair-Elect Edwards told The Watchdog. “Our county, and our region, has been devastated in a way we’ve never seen before, and for our needs and the suffering of our residents and small businesses to get mixed in with other controversial measures, it should not be happening,” Edwards said.
But, Edwards said of the delegation to Washington, D.C., “Hopefully we’ll be coming back Thursday night with some great news and positive outcomes.”
Asheville Watchdog is a nonprofit news team producing stories that matter to Asheville and Buncombe County. Peter H. Lewis is The Watchdog’s executive editor and a former editor at The New York Times. Contact him at plewis@avlwatchdog.org. Sally Kestin is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter. Email skestin@avlwatchdog.org. To show your support for this vital public service go to avlwatchdog.org/donate.
Related
The post Asheville Mayor, Buncombe officials among delegation headed to D.C. to appeal for more Helene assistance • Asheville Watchdog appeared first on avlwatchdog.org
News from the South - North Carolina News Feed
Raleigh City Council discusses transforming area near Lenovo Center, hears concerns
SUMMARY: Raleigh City Council is considering a major redevelopment project near the Lenovo Center that would create a new sports and entertainment district with high-rise buildings, restaurants, shops, and upgraded arena facilities. The proposal, supported by city leaders and the Carolina Hurricanes—who agreed to stay for 20 more years—has drawn both excitement and concerns. Students and staff from nearby Cardinal Gibbons High School support the project but worry about pedestrian safety and construction impacts. City leaders suggested annual reviews to address ongoing issues. The council postponed rezoning decisions until April 15 to allow for more discussion and public input.

New details are emerging about the bold new development that could transform the area around Raleigh’s Lenovo Center, creating a new entertainment district around the arena in west Raleigh.
More: https://abc11.com/post/raleigh-city-council-will-discuss-future-including-wake-bus-rapid-transit-project-housing-security/16114907/
Download: https://abc11.com/apps/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ABC11/
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@abc11_wtvd
X: https://x.com/ABC11_WTVD
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abc11_wtvd/
TIKTOK: https://www.tiktok.com/@abc11_eyewitnessnews
Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/c/ABC11-WTVD
News from the South - North Carolina News Feed
Asheville has North Carolina’s worst unemployment rate, state says
Six months later and still out of a job. That’s the reality for nearly 13,000 Asheville residents half a year after Tropical Storm Helene struck Western North Carolina.
In the wake of the historic storm, hundreds of businesses closed. The region’s multibillion dollar tourism sector took a devastating hit. Thousands of people were severed from their jobs. Many have not returned to the workforce.
Asheville, a city of roughly 95,000 people, typically boasts the lowest unemployment rate of North Carolina’s municipalities.
[Subscribe for FREE to Carolina Public Press’ alerts and weekend roundup newsletters]
But not now. Not after Helene.
As of January, the most recent figures available, Asheville had a 6% unemployment rate — the state’s highest — according to the N.C. Department of Commerce.
Clark Duncan, director of the Asheville Chamber of Commerce, calls the ranking a “new and unwelcome accolade.”
Help wanted in Asheville
Rocky Mount and Fayetteville, each hovering around 5% unemployment, are giving Asheville a run for its money.
The capital city of Raleigh is home to North Carolina’s lowest jobless rate at 3.2%.
And statewide, that number is a respectable 4%.
But Asheville’s high rate of unemployment doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t jobs in the region, according to one expert.
“Buncombe County certainly does not have a jobs problem,” said Andrew Berger-Gross, a senior economist for the N.C. Department of Commerce. “What they have is an unemployment problem. We see employers hiring, but there is a large contingent of workers who have not returned to work.”
First, there is what economists call a “matching problem.” Meaning, the jobs that need to be filled do not match the skills and interests of the unemployed.
There are 20,000 job openings in the region, according to Nathan Ramsey, director of the Mountain Area Workforce Development Board. Sectors like health care and manufacturing are on track for normal hiring numbers. Plus, Helene actually created jobs in certain industries, such as construction and debris removal.
“You may be the best bartender in the world, the best server, the best cook — but does that mean you want to drive an 18-wheeler up mountain roads?,” Ramsey asked. “Does that mean you can do — or want to do — construction? Probably not.”

Second: Just because someone needs a job doesn’t mean they are ready or able to get one.
“It is safe to assume that a lot of those unemployed workers might be facing barriers to re-employment — like losing your home or losing your car,” Berger-Gross explained. “Frankly, some people might still be struggling with the emotional trauma of the hurricane’s destruction.
“A lot of these people may need help putting their lives back together before they are ready to return to the workforce.”
Though unemployment rates rose in Asheville and Buncombe County in winter months, the amount of open positions in the region is a positive sign for an economic rebound, as are increased retail sales and hotel occupancy.
But there are concerns that the state’s disaster unemployment program might not be working as it should.
“I get a lot of emails from folks who are kind of struggling with getting unemployment assistance,” state Sen. Julie Mayfield, D-Buncombe, told Carolina Public Press. “Either they’ve applied for it and they haven’t gotten it or they’ve been turned down because they’re back at work a little bit, but not full time.”
Mayfield is hopeful that tourists will arrive to watch wildflowers bloom across the Appalachians this spring.
But wildfires across Western North Carolina may jeopardize those plans.
Smoke signals
Closed trails and roads, mandatory evacuations and poor air quality have scared off springtime tourists and kept locals from their typical routines.
Adventure tourism businesses in the area aren’t operating, putting tour guides and other personnel out of work, said Brevard Mayor Maureen Copelof. Evacuation orders in her county were lifted early this week, but Brevard’s annual bike race — Assault on the Carolinas — was canceled due to the fires.
While most economic indicators in Western North Carolina have been trending positive, an additional natural disaster, such as these fires, threatens to stall recovery before the region can fully rebound.
There is an emotional impact of the wildfires as well. The din of helicopters above the mountains is a painful reminder of the panic and trauma of Helene. Plus, the downed trees and mangled forest floors from the storm make the blazes worse.
“Some people were really triggered by the fact that there was another threat to their home and their health on the six-month anniversary of Helene,” said Leah Matthews, a UNC-Asheville economics professor. “You have people thinking: ‘I’m just starting to rebuild this house and now I need to evacuate again.’”
In the wake of wildfire and flood, economic recovery in the mountains will require patience and a willingness to adapt. The community is wrestling with fundamental questions about its identity and future.
“The elephant in the room is that the region suffered a historic tragedy, and you can’t push rewind on the VCR of life,” Berger-Gross said. “You can’t go back to a time before the disaster hit — that is why it is a tragedy. All of us are trying to move to a better future for Asheville and for Western North Carolina more broadly. But will things be exactly like they were before the hurricane? No, they can’t be.”
This article first appeared on Carolina Public Press and is republished here under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The post Asheville has North Carolina’s worst unemployment rate, state says appeared first on carolinapublicpress.org
News from the South - North Carolina News Feed
Fixing the DMV: Latest on commissioner search, technology upgrades
SUMMARY: In response to significant issues such as long wait times and appointment shortages, North Carolina’s DMV is seeking improvements by partnering with Arizona, which ranks fourth nationally for DMV efficiency. Governor Josh Stein and Transportation Secretary Joey Hopkins highlighted ongoing leadership changes, including the search for a new commissioner after Wayne Goodwin’s departure. Current challenges stem from staffing shortages and outdated technology. Governor Stein’s proposed budget includes funding for over 100 new positions to alleviate these issues. The state plans to adopt Arizona’s software to enhance service efficiency and customer satisfaction, with leadership decisions expected in the coming weeks.

North Carolina is partnering with Arizona to improve its struggling Division of Motor Vehicles, aiming to reduce long wait times and make more appointments available.
-
News from the South - Florida News Feed7 days ago
Family mourns death of 10-year-old Xavier Williams
-
News from the South - Alabama News Feed6 days ago
Severe storms will impact Alabama this weekend. Damaging winds, hail, and a tornado threat are al…
-
Mississippi Today16 hours ago
Pharmacy benefit manager reform likely dead
-
News from the South - Alabama News Feed5 days ago
University of Alabama student detained by ICE moved to Louisiana
-
News from the South - Louisiana News Feed7 days ago
Seafood testers find Shreveport restaurants deceiving customers with foreign shrimp
-
News from the South - Oklahoma News Feed4 days ago
Tornado watch, severe thunderstorm warnings issued for Oklahoma
-
News from the South - West Virginia News Feed7 days ago
Roane County Schools installing security film on windows to protect students
-
News from the South - Virginia News Feed5 days ago
Youngkin removes Ellis, appoints Cuccinelli to UVa board | Virginia